Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Book Review: A Taste for Murder by Matt Baker

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Great writing and characters
Cons: Needed a better focus
The Bottom Line:
Grieving detective
Solving a case on Capri
Needed to focus




Two Books in One, and It Shows

When I was looking at upcoming book, A Taste for Murder caught my eye.  Not only did the title sound like a book I would pick up and enjoy, but the author’s name helped.  Matt Baker may not be related to me at all, but the name caught my eye.  I wasn’t sure about the book, but I decided to give it a shot.

The book introduces us to DCI Joe Mottram.  He’s leaving behind his native England and his job as a detective to spend the summer with his teenage daughter and his in-laws in Capri.  He’s hoping that the time will help him reconnect with his daughter and help him deal with the grief of losing his wife.

But then an English business woman falls of a cliff.  Mottram is brought in as a consultant since the victim’s father is powerful.  While at first it looks like an accident or a suicide, there are things that don’t add up for Mottram.  Can he figure out what is going on?

Despite the title, this isn’t a cozy but a police procedural, and includes the things that go along with that subgenre.  I was half expecting that when I picked up the book, so it wasn’t a big surprise to me.

My problem with this book is that it tried to do too much.  We get the story from three different points of view – Mottram, his daughter, Angelica, and the local detective that Mottram winds up partnering with, Lara Sarrancino.  That’s at least one perspective too many.  The issue is that Angelica gets her own storyline, which is one of the weakest aspects of the book and often slows things down.

While focusing on Mottram would help, the book still can’t quite decide what it wants to be.  Is it a mystery?  Or is it a story about dealing with grief?  They are both given equal weight.  Honestly, I was pulled into them, but the switches in focus were a bit jarring.  And the climax of the grief storyline is short changed.

Most of the characters are strong, which is what helped pull me into the story.  One, however, gets a twist part way through that was not handled well at all.

The mystery itself was solid, with plenty of twists and complications on the way to the logical climax.  Not all the twists surprised me, however, since the book leaned into cliches a few times.

While this is a police procedural, Mottram’s in-laws run a popular restaurant, so the culinary scenes are numerous and made me hungry as I read.

I’ve picked up a few books recently where the narration summarizes conversations for us, and this is another of them.  We’d be in a scene where we’d get a direct quote from one character, a summary if how the other person responded, and then a direct quote again.  It was weird and pushed me out of the book.

The book ends with a cliffhanger involving Mottram’s personal life and I just didn’t care.  I won’t be back for a second book with these characters.

Looking at reviews, I seem to be in the minority on A Taste for Murder.  I’m not sorry I read it, but it needed another edit to really polish what was there.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.