Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Book Review: The Pursuit by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg (Fox and O'Hare #5)



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Strong story and humor keep the pages turning
Cons: Characters a little flat as always
The Bottom Line:
Fox, O’Hare, madman
As plot, laughs twist together
For page turning romp




Fans Will Pursue This Book

While I can usually handle cliffhangers on the TV shows I watch, I find them frustrating in books.  I have no idea why that is – maybe it’s because I know it will be nine to twelve months before I get resolution?  However, they certainly make me want to pick up the next book, which is why I couldn’t wait to read The Pursuit.

If you haven’t read this series yet, it stars Nicolas Fox and Kate O’Hare.  After years of FBI Agent Kate O’Hare pursuing con man Nick Fox, she finally caught him, only to watch him turned loose as part of a deal.  Now, the two are teamed up for some very, very off the books opps as they take down dangerous criminals that no one would be able to stop via traditional means.

This book opens moments after the last one had ended.  Nick has been kidnapped.  When Kate arrives where she is supposed to meet him in Hawaii, she finds signs of a fight, but no Nick.  She quickly sets to work trying to figure out just what happened to him.  The criminals have left some clues for her to follow, and she begins tracking them down as quickly as possible.

Which is fortunate since Nick is being held by Dragan Kovic, an ex-Servian military officer who has made a fortune stealing diamonds.  He has “requested” Nick’s help for a seemingly impossible robbery.  Can Kate find Nick?  Will the two be able to bring this mad man down?

Now if you are worried that I’ve spoiled too much for you, my teaser just covers the first few pages of the book.  Once again, the plot of this book twists in some fun, surprising, and unexpected places before we reach the fantastic ending.  In fact, I felt like the pace of this book was a little faster than normal for the series.  There were certainly a lot of great twists along the way.

While the focus on the action, the characters are a little flat here, but that’s been my constant complaint over the course of the series.  We get to know them enough to truly care about them, but they aren’t as developed as many series I read.

Having said that, the fun and humor of the series is in fine form, and much of that comes from the usual crew that Nick and Kate once again bring together to help them take down the bad guys.  Two in particular always make me laugh, and it is a joy to see them in action again.

So yes, the time spent waiting to see how the cliffhanger would be resolved was time well spent.  I enjoyed every page of The Pursuit and can’t wait to find out what happens next to Kate, Nick, and their crew.

New to their adventures?  Here are the Fox and O’Hare novels in order.

4 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed the others in this series and boy, do they move fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that they are hard to put down, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. I was disappointed in 'The Pursuit' but I highly recommend these Fox and O'Hare books by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
    The Heist /The Chase /The Job /The Scam.
    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.