Saturday, July 23, 2016

Cookie Review: Chips Ahoy! S'more



Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Good tasting cookies
Cons: Doesn’t actually taste like a s’more
The Bottom Line:
Delicious tasting
But taste not as advertised
Missing marshmallow

Valiant Effort, but Doesn’t Capture That S’more Magic

I was walking through the grocery store a couple weeks ago, and I made the mistake of walking by a display of Chips Ahoy! cookies.  Their newest flavor jumped out at me – s’more.  Since I love s’mores as much as anyone else who has grown up camping, I had to give these cookies a try.  I wasn’t expecting too much, and it’s a good thing because these turned out to be less than they could have been.

The basis for these cookies is a standard chewy Chips Ahoy! cookie.  In the center of the cookie is a disc of chocolate.  And there are still plenty of chips in the cookies, both chocolate and a white chip.

I suspect that the white chip is white chocolate that they are hoping to have flavored to have tasted like marshmallow.  Sadly, they didn’t quite hit the mark.  As often happens when there are white chips in these cookies, there is a sweet factor, and they taste different from a normal chocolate chip cookie, but they don’t come anywhere near a s’more.

The package does recommend heating them, 9 to 10 seconds in the microwave for two cookies.  I gave that as try as well.  Doing this really brings out the graham cracker taste in the cookie, something that is missing when you eat it cold, and it melts the chocolate disc in the middle, which is delicious.  But it does nothing to introduce the flavor of marshmallow.

Now don’t misunderstand what I am saying.  These cookies certainly taste good.  They just don’t taste much like s’mores.  And since that is what they are going for, they fail to deliver on that promise.

So if you are looking for a twist on the chocolate chip cookie, feel free to pick up Chips Ahoy! S’more.  Just don’t expect them to have the marshmallow flavor actually needed to create real s’more taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.