Monday, July 11, 2016

Ornament Review: Green Thumb Snoopy - Spotlight on Snoopy #19 - 2016 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun sculpt and idea
Cons: What is with all the white on Snoopy’s ears?
The Bottom Line:
Growing in garden
Maybe Snoopy can use dirt
To darken his ears




Snoopy Successfully Grows Great Vegetables

The Spotlight on Snoopy Series was my gateway drug to Hallmark ornament collecting.  Even years before I bought the number of ornaments I do now, I still bought this series faithfully each year.  As a result, it’s still one of the first I look for each year and one I make sure I buy at premier in July.  This year’s addition to the series is Green Thumb Snoopy.  It’s fun, but it has one flaw.

As you’d expect from the title, this year, Snoopy is a farmer.  He’s wearing jean overalls, a red bandana, and a straw hat with a green ban on it.  In his right hand, he’s holding a hoe.  On his left is Woodstock, who is holding a tomato from their garden.  It’s not quite as big as Woodstock, but if it were any bigger, I’m not sure he’d be able to hold it.

While farming isn’t something I immediately associate with Snoopy, I still do like this ornament.  Besides, we’ve left his most famous characters behind almost a decade ago now.  It’s a very nice looking ornament overall.

Except for that flaw I mentioned earlier.  You see, when they painted Snoopy’s ear, they left a band of white around the outside.  Seriously.  When has Snoopy ever had white anywhere on his ear?  They also didn’t paint the backside of his ear.  Both of these things have been done on previous Snoopy ornaments, but the band of white on his ears has never been this pronounced.  And this isn’t a mistake because there is a little groove on his ear that they painted inside.  So I’m just left with one question – why?

Snoopy and Woodstock are standing on a patch of grass, so the ornament has a flat base.  Since it doesn’t have a solid connection to Christmas, you could easily display it year round, which is nice.  You’ll also find the 19 in a Christmas tree series marker down there.  Nineteen years.  Wow!  I’d have a lot of Hallmark ornaments thanks to this series even if I hadn’t started collecting other ornaments.

When you go to hang the ornament, you’ll find that Snoopy and Woodstock tip forward a little bit.  It’s not too bad, and you can easily disguise it with branches on your tree, however.

It’s the ears that truly annoy me on this ornament.  I was expecting to like it, but that is a detail they should have gotten right, especially with how many Snoopy ornaments they’ve done in the past.  It’s always going to be an issue for Green Thumb Snoopy, but I hope they don’t repeat it next year.

And here are the rest of the ornaments in the long running Spotlight on Snoopy series.

Original Price: $12.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.