Sunday, May 13, 2018

Book Review: Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun story and pictures
Cons: Snort!
The Bottom Line:
Join a newborn bird’s
Search for his mother in fun
Easy picture book






Fun Search for Mommy

A few books from my childhood really stand out because of a line or two my family would reference for years to come.  One of those is Are You My Mother?  Rereading it as an adult, it is still a good picture book.

A new baby bird is about to hatch.  Knowing her baby will be hungry, the mother bird goes looking for food for him, but he hatches while she is gone.  He immediately sets out to find his mother.  Will he succeed?

This is an easy reader picture book, so the plot really is that simple.  Naturally, the baby bird makes a few wrong guesses before he finds his mother and we get our happy ending.  The wrong guess my family loved the most was the Snort – a big construction vehicle.  Some of the others are just as funny.

Most of the words here shouldn’t be an issue for young readers.  A couple might need to be sounded out, but kids should be able to do it with a little help.

The illustrations certainly add to the fun.  They are staged perfectly to allow us to enjoy the baby bird’s journey to find his mother.  And the last picture will make you smile for sure.

Are You My Mother? has entertained generations of young kids and their parents, and there is a reason for it.  This is one to enjoy for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.