Wednesday, October 20, 2021

TV Show Review: Superman and Lois - Season 1

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Story, characters, acting all work together perfectly
Cons: This show has no Kryptonite
The Bottom Line:
New Superman take
Fantastic relationships
With gripping stories



“It’s a Little Weird to See Superman in Real Life.  I’m Used to Seeing Him on TV.”

I’ve got to admit, I wasn’t the most excited when I they announced Superman and Lois originally.  I’m not quite sure why since I was ready for Tyler Hoechlin to get his own spinoff the instant he guest starred on Supergirl.   Being the good Arrowverse fan that I am, I tuned in to watch the series premier.  I was quickly hooked on the rest of season one.

This series presents Clark Kent/Superman (Tyler Hoechlin) and Lois Lane (Elizabeth Tulloch) as you’ve never seen them before – the happily married parents of teenaged twins Jonathan (Jordan Elsass) and Jordan (Alex Garfin).  The pilot finds them deciding to move back to Clark’s childhood home on the farm in Smallville that he’s recently inherited.  That means reconnecting with Clark’s childhood, including his friend Lana Lang Cushing (Emmanuelle Chriqui) and her husband Kyle (Erik Valdez).

While Jordan is happy with the change, Jonathan had been the star of their old high school’s football team, and starting over is hard on him.  And, some of Jordan’s happiness may be because of his crush on Sarah Cushing (Inde Navarrette).

As part of trying to bring the family closer together, Clark and Lois decide it is time to tell the boys who Clark really is.  The timing is perfect when one of the twins begins to show possible signs of inheriting his father’s powers.  But Lois is suspicious of Morgan Edge (Adam Rayner), who has come to Smallville with all kind of promises about helping turn the town around.  Can he be trusted?

What made this show work?  Really, everything clicked for me.  The writers found the perfect balance between character and plot.  Not a second is wasted in any episode.

The plot caught my interest from the beginning.  It’s obvious Morgan Edge is up to something, but what exactly that is kept me tuning in.  And each week, the stakes got higher for all our heroes.  By mid-season, I couldn’t believe that we weren’t already at the end of the season, but they kept building a wonderful story.

Meanwhile, the characters and their dynamics were fantastic.  Lois and Clark have a wonderful relationship.  You can tell they love each other.  Do they have bumps in their relationship?  Yes.  Are these bumps realistic for a happily married couple?  Well, if one of them is Superman, sure.  They are a team, and I appreciate that.  Meanwhile, I also enjoyed seeing the adult relationship between Lois and Clark and Lana and Kyle.  They are friends, and those relationships were great.  If they ever mess up any of these dynamics, I will be furious.

While these parts of the episodes feel like they are aimed at adults, we do get more of a teen vibe when Jonathan and Jordan are on the screen.  I’ve got to admit, I got serious Smallville vibes at times, especially in some of the early episodes.  That’s not a bad thing, necessarily.  Having said this, I did appreciate the relationship between Clark, Lois, and their sons.

Of course, for this all to work, the acting has to be top notch.  And it is.  The actors bring their A game each week, bringing the scripts to perfect life.

As you’d expect, the effects are top notch as well.

Since Supergirl has used most of Superman’s most famous villains already, I will be very curious to see who pops up as villains here.  I probably won’t recognize them, which was the case in the first season.  Not that I’m complaining.

Season one consisted of fifteen episodes, and it was the perfect number to bring this show to life.  We had a few breaks in the season, and it was always agony to wait until the show came back to find out what would happen to the characters next.

With how much I loved season one, I’m worried that the writers won’t be able to keep this level of excellence going in the seasons to come.  But I will keep watching and hope they prove me wrong.

More than anything else, this show is why I am hanging on to the entire Arrowverse right now.  If you haven’t watched Superman and Lois’s first season yet, stop what you are doing and go watch it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.