Monday, January 24, 2022

Movie Review: Zoolander 2

Stars: 1 out of 5
Pros: Um…um…a couple of laughs?
Cons: Just about everything else
The Bottom Line:
Stupid comedy
Emphasis on the stupid
So not worth watching



I Should Have Known Better

I don’t know what I was thinking.  I didn’t particularly enjoy the first Zoolander, but for some reason, I decided to go ahead and watch Zoolander 2.  At least I didn’t spend any money to watch it.

The movie starts with some assassins chasing Justin Bieber.  Just before he dies, he says, “We will never reveal the chosen one.”  It turns out this isn’t the first music star who has been killed recently.  European police are wishing that they had help from some another source to figure out what is going on – a source like Zoolander.

At that point, we get caught up on what has happened to Zoolander and Hansel in the 15 years between movies.  They have gone their separate ways and given up modeling, living away from civilization.  However, an offer to model for the current hit designer in Italy is enough to lure them out of their self-imposed obscurity.  Will they accomplish their personal goals?  Or is it a trap?

The plot was just an excuse for some rather outlandish comedy.  Oh, the story holds together okay.  It’s over the top and a tad on the stupid side, but that fits the movie.  For the world they’ve build in these movies, it certainly works.

What really didn’t work for me was the comedy.  Oh, I get it was supposed to be a so stupid it is funny movie.  In fact, I get where it was supposed to be funny.  Here’s the thing – it wasn’t.  Oh, a few of the gags were funny, but most of the movie was just so painfully stupid I couldn’t laugh at all.  In fact, I felt brain cells dying as I watched.

Of course, that’s no surprise since Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller are best known for those kind of comedies.  And they are good here bringing those characters to life.  I just didn’t find their characters, or the rest of the characters, that entertaining.

Fortunately, I caught this movie on TV, so all I wasted was my time.  Lesson learned – if they make a sequel to Zoolander 2, I will most certainly be skipping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.