Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Book Review: Vintage Trailers and Blackmailers by Heather Weidner (Jules Keene Glamping Mysteries #1)

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Characters and setting
Cons: Pacing of the plot
The Bottom Line:
Murder at resort
Wonderful cozy setting
Plot could be better



Murder at a Campground

I grew up camping. My parents still have a trailer, and I still enjoy it when I get a chance to join them. I’ve been on the lookout for a camping or campground themed series for a while now, so Vintage Trailers and Blackmailers was already on my radar before author Heather Weidner offered me a copy for review. 

Jules Keene has taken over the campground she inherited from her parents. She’s renovated vintages trailers to turn them into luxurious places to stay and is finding that the resort is beginning to gain a positive reputation. 

Jules even has some people staying there long term, like Ira Perkins, a writer looking for some peace and quiet to finish his book. Unfortunately, he is a pain as a guest, complaining about everything. Then two guests stumble over his body in the woods next to the campground. Jules can’t help but wonder what happened, especially as more strange things begin happening around the resort. Can she figure out what happened before the resort’s reputation is ruined?

I felt right at home as soon as I started reading this book.  The setting brought back memories of great camping trips, and I could picture my family having a great time at this campground.  If only this were a real place.

Unfortunately, the mystery wasn’t as strong as the setting.  I think part of it was the fact that the story took place over a longer period than I am used to, so it felt like it was moving slowly.  It’s funny because things were happening early on, so I’m not quite sure where that was coming from.  However, the second half confused twists with events.  There were things happening, but it needed some twists to it.  The ending did make sense, which is always a good thing in a mystery.

It is a shame the plot wasn’t stronger because I also liked the characters.  Jules is a great lead, and she is surrounded by some fun characters – her aunt who helps her run the resort, the handyman, even the FBI agent who gets involved.  I enjoyed spending time with them.

There was enough I enjoyed that I’m glad I got a chance to read Vintage Trailers and Blackmailers.  However, I do wish the plot has been stronger.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad the mystery didn't live up to the setting. Hopefully this series will develop as it goes along.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.