Friday, January 28, 2022

January 28th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

 We have made it to Friday again, and I'm back with another Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  I know, two weeks in a row.

Also, two weeks in a row, I'm using a short story collection for my post.  This time, the book is a multi-author short story collection, Murder in the Mountains.


This is the second in the Destination Murders series of short story collections.  Each book in the series will feature short stories that take place at different types of vacation destinations.  Many of the authors from the first book are back, but some new ones rotated in for the authors who couldn't come back.

For Book Beginnings, I'm taking the beginning of the first story.  That story is "Double Bluff" by Gretchen Archer.  I'm just going to let this quote speak for itself.

On any given night when I call it a day, I go to bed with thousands of overnight guests.  Total strangers under my roof.

I'm reading an eARC, and 56% into the book takes us to the story "The Lyin' Witch in the Wardrobe" by Eleanor Cawood Jones.  It involves a group of friends who go to a resort in the mountains themed around The Wizard of Oz.  Oh, and did I mention that there's another group where our main characters are staying, and they show up dressed as the Wicked Witches from the Oz story?  So, with that context in mind, I had to pull this quote.

"How did this turn into a witch hunt?" I wondered aloud.

Yes, there are lots of great witch jokes in the story.

The book officially releases next Tuesday on the 1st, and I'll have a full review up then.  Until then, have a great weekend.

11 comments:

  1. I enjoy short stories from time to time, but admit mystery short stories don't work as well for me as compared to other genres. I like the common theme of vacation destinations. "The Lyin' Witch in the Wardrobe" sounds like a fun story! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently re-discovered anthologies and short story collections, and I'm enjoying them. This one sounds fun! Will come back for your full review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating! Good excerpts, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like so much fun! Adding it to my wishlist now. Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover, it sounds like an interesting book. Have a great weekend. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/first-line-friday-36-being-untwisted.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the sound of this ones. I'll add it to my ever-growing wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both snippets were great to me!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good one for the day!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a fan of the short story collections. I usually prefer if all the stories are fro one author but sometimes I also enjoy the collections with many authors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't normally read anthologies, but perhaps I should pick up this one! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I usually enjoy short stories and a lot of these are authors I really enjoy. I definitely need to pick up a copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.