Sunday, May 29, 2022

Disney Pin Review: Roy E. Disney - Windows of Main Street - 2021 Release



Stars
: 4 out of 5
Pros: Nice window and pin to honor Roy E. Disney
Cons: Bottom half a little hard to read
The Bottom Line:
Donald and sailing
Honoring Roy’s legacy
Good pin for DisNerds

You’ll Be Glad This Pin Sailed Into Your Collection

I’ve been reviewing the pins in the Windows of Main Street series in random order – which ever one I grab when it is time to write a review.  I’m sure that the pin I’m looking at this month, which honors Roy E. Disney, was released earlier in the pin series order.  I know I’m not surprised that a pin to honor him is included.

Roy was Walt Disney’s nephew, the son of his brother and business partner, also named Roy.  In addition, he was a long time executive and board member of the company his brother and uncle founded, at times causing waves with his vision for the company.  He definitely created his own legacy in the company, not just coasting on his familial connections.

The window in the pin is actually the middle part of a set of three that honor not only Roy but his entire family.  Like many of the ones we’ve looked at, this one has two panes.  The upper pane has a picture of a sailboat and says “Roy E. Disney, specializing in the gentlemanly sport of racing the sea.”  This part is very easy to read.  The bottom pane is harder to read, but says “About the ketch Peregrina.  Patty Disney, first mate, gourmet cook.”  Patty was his first wife and his wife when these windows were created.

Roy was famous for his love of sailing and sailboat racing, so this window fits perfectly.  He even made a documentary about it at one point that I enjoyed.

As always, the bottom part of the window slides up to reveal a Disney character.  Who better to be behind this window than Donald in his sailor outfit?

This window does fair better than some I’ve been reviewing recently.  The top part is always easy to read, and the bottom part can be read when it is slid down, although Donald makes it a little hard.  Still, I mostly like this window.

Roy Disney made many of his own contributions to the Disney Company over the years.  It’s nice that this has been recognized with not only a window on Main Street, but a pin in this series.  Lovers of Disney history will definitely be glad they have this one in their collection.


3 comments:

  1. This is such a neat collection, I love reading these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disney history is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew about Roy Disney Jr. I'm glad he wasn't content to just live off his family's money

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.