Wednesday, May 11, 2022

TV Show Review: Moon Knight - Season 1

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Weird, trippy, but ultimately rewarding
Cons: Violence a couple of times, a major question about the final scene
The Bottom Line:
Weird superhero
Keep watching to understand
Makes sense in the end




“I Don’t Have a Card for That.”

Since I’ve never really followed superheroes, I only know the most famous (and mostly the DC) heroes.  As a result, I came into Moon Knight completely blind about what it was going to be about.  The result was…strange.  It took a bit to adjust to it, but in the end, I was glad I watched it.

In the very first episode, we meet Stephen Grant (Oscar Isaac).  He works at the gift shop of the British museum.  He lives alone with only a fish for company.  You’d call his life boring except that he finds himself waking up in some strange places after blacking out.  And he doesn’t drink so that’s not the problem.

Things get even worse when he starts waking up finding himself in danger.  He’s got people calling him Marc.  Then there’s the weird run in he has with Arthur Harrow (Ethan Hawke), who wants to bring about peace and harmony, but seems shady, too.  Will he figure out what is going on?

I’m leaving my teaser there without introducing any of the other characters since you really need to experience this show as it unfolds for yourself.  I really don’t want to risk spoiling any of the fun surprises along the way.  It’s trippy and confusing at times.  It takes a lot of effort and attention to follow it.  But it is worth it.  The payoffs will reward you in the final few episodes.

Having said that, I am going to say the story does get heavily into Egyptian mythology.  Personally, I didn’t mind since many superhero stories involve references to other cultures’ gods, etc.  Thor and Wonder Woman are two prime examples.  Know that going in, and you’ll be fine.

Along with the twists, this show features plenty of action.  Some of it is straight action, and some of it is rather comical.  The stunts and special effects that go along with it are well done.  A couple of times, a special effect seemed a little off, but the majority of them work perfectly.

I have to praise the acting.  There isn’t a weak link in the cast, but Oscar Isaac is outstanding.  This show required a lot from him, and he really delivered.  There is so much nuance to his performance, and so much screen time for him.  The show would be worth watching for him alone.

Having said all this, I do have a few niggles with the show.  Like the fact that the final scene of the finale doesn’t make logical sense.  I’m not talking about the mid-credits scene, which does make sense.  To say more than that would involve spoilers, but it’s a major sticking point for me.  I get what they are doing from a storytelling point of view, but from a logic point of view, it doesn’t work.  A few scenes are more violent than I feel like we really needed.

Most of my concerns from the early episode are addressed/resolved before the show is over, so keep watching and you will be rewarded.  And since it is only six episodes, you don’t have to invest too much time and effort before you are rewarded.

I’m glad I was patient with Moon Knight.  It’s a wild, crazy, trippy ride that is ultimately rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on Moon Knight. I have been curious! As for Ellen Byron's Bayou Book Thief I "can't wait" to hear your thoughts or to read it myself. I love her books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.