Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Ornament Review: Stocking Stuffers #1 Repaint - Pets - 2021 Hallmark Release

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Still has cute animals
Cons: The new colors on the stocking don’t quite work
The Bottom Line:
Familiar stocking
Fresh paint job doesn’t quite work
Still cute animals




A Pink Stocking Makes This Repaint Stand Out

Last month, when I reviewed the first Stocking Stuffers ornament, I mentioned I had gotten that ornament through a mix up.  I actually thought that I was going to get the repaint that Hallmark was offering for free in October instead.  While still saying I’m on the fence about starting this series, I immediately went out and tracked down the repaint.  It’s a very different take on the original ornament, and that’s not necessarily a good thing.

For those not up to date on all their Hallmark jargon, a repaint is when Hallmark takes an ornament and gives it different colors from the original.  Sometimes, it’s a few subtle changes that work well.  Other times, it’s a very big change and it doesn’t quite work out as well as Hallmark had hoped.  That’s the case here.

Like the original, this ornament features animals sticking out of the top of a stocking.  In the original, we had a green stocking with red stripes and white accents.  This time, we have a pink stocking with red stripes and accents.  Yes, I said pink.  I think if you liked pink, you’d really like this ornament.  For me?  It’s just okay.  It will certainly stand out on a tree more than the original ornament, but I’m not sure that is a good thing here.

The animals inside the stocking are all the same.  We’ve got a hamster, cat, dog, rabbit, and bird.  They are a bit cartoony, but they still look cute.  They’ve got different colorings here, but these changes work.  There are some I like better than others, but none of them look bad.  The holly leaves are still green, which makes sense, but the bow has changed from red to green.  Unfortunately, that means it just blends in with the leaves behind it.

With the original, your eye goes to everything, and you can enjoy all the details.  With this repaint, the stocking jumps out more than the animals.  It doesn’t work nearly as well for me.

Like the original, the ornament won’t stand on its own.  It’s a stocking.  It’s supposed to be hung.  The ornament does hang straight.  And, since this ornament used the same mold as the original, you’ll find the series marker on the back of the ornament.

While the coloring isn’t truly bad, it also isn’t nearly as good as the original.  I’m definitely glad this isn’t the only version of the first Stocking Stuffers I have in my collection.

Stuff you collection with the rest of the Stocking Stuffers ornaments.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten any series since the Cool Decades of the 2000s, but this is cute. You're right about the green being more attractive, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!! I think I would prefer the original red and white over this pink, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.