Monday, March 27, 2023

Book Review: Intrigue in Istanbul by Erica Ruth Neubauer (Jane Wunderly Mysteries #4)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Strong plot and great characters
Cons: I was too intrigued to look for cons
The Bottom Line:
Race to find father
Plenty of action, danger
Book hard to put down



Racing to Find Her Father

I’ll admit, I was a little confused when I saw the fourth Jane Wunderly Mystery was titled Intrigue in Istanbul.  You see, when we last saw her, she and her fiancĂ©, Redvers, had just landed in New York on their way to Boston so that he could meet Jane’s father.  So why were we suddenly in Turkey?  But as soon as I started reading the book, it made sense.

You see, when Jane and Redvers arrive in Boston, they discover that no one is living in the Wunderly home.  After some digging, they finally learn that her father, a history professor, has taken off to Turkey since he’s gotten a new clue in his search for a relic he’s been trying to find for decades.  However, when he left, he left things in a precarious position in Boston, and Jane and Redvers can’t wait for him to return to resolve things.

So, they set off for Istanbul as well.  When they arrive, they learn he has vanished without a trace, even leaving behind his luggage.   With no idea who to trust or how much danger Professor Wunderly is in, they must find him before time runs out at home.  Can they do it?

Quite obviously, there is plenty here to keep the reader intrigued.  We spend just enough time in Boston to set up the story, and then we arrive in Istanbul, where things really take off.  Yes, a dead body or two turn up, but honestly, the book didn’t need them.  There is so much driving the plot that I was hooked long before that happened.  Of course, the murders did raise the stakes quite nicely, so they definitely add to the plot.

This is more of a caper than a traditional mystery.  I’ve complained in the past that some capers feel like they are so busy racing from one plot point to another that they don’t quite connect all the dots for us.  Fortunately, that doesn’t happen here.  Everything is logically explained by the time we reach the last page.

Fans of the series will be happy to hear that Aunt Millie is back as well.  She is a hoot.  Oh, I get Jane’s frustrations with her, but since I just have to read about her, I find her fun.

Jane has some growing to do as the book unfolds, and I enjoyed watching that.  I also continue to enjoy watching Jane and Redvers’s relationship get stronger.

While this is the fourth book in the series, you really could jump in here.  There are a few references to past events, but there aren’t any spoilers.  Yes, I think you’ll find the characters richer if you’ve met them before, but you’ll still appreciate what happens here.

The one thing I haven’t mentioned yet is that the book takes place in 1926.  While the book doesn’t bring real life historical events into the story, we do get a look at what life was like then, including social attitudes and travel.

Intrigue in Istanbul is a page turning.  If you are looking for a little historical globe trotting, this is the book for you.

Enjoy more historical travel with the rest of the Jane Wunderly Mysteries.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

6 comments:

  1. I had not heard of this series yet. Wonderful review, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea for the series: historical travel. Will need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic and definitely a series I would enjoy. I'm adding this book and the rest of the series to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds good, Mark and I love when a book pulls you in and holds you like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Historical globe trotting sounds great!

    Thanks for sharing this review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking about reading this one but i chose something else. After my current book i will definitely back to this book and read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.