Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Ornament Review: Louis - Art of Disney Animation #9 - 2016 Disney Store Ornament


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Captures Louis playing jazz for all to enjoy
Cons: Color more muted than I hoped for
The Bottom Line:
Louis captures here
Playing the jazz that he loves
For your Christmas tree




Jazz Up Your Tree with this Alligator

My favorite character from Disney’s The Princess and the Frog was Louis, the alligator who wanted to play jazz.  So when I saw he was the subject of an entry in The Disney Store’s Art of Disney Animation ornament series, I was excited to add him to my Disney character ornament collection.

The ornament is fairly simple – it’s just Louis playing his trumpet.  His head is in the air and the trumpet is to his lips.  His tail is sticking out behind him.  He’s obviously walking since he’s just walked on something that is making a splash up around one foot.  The other?  It’s in the air behind him, of course.

Even though the pose is simple, it still captures the character perfectly.  I can easily imagine him walking and playing not paying any attention to his surroundings.  The detail on the ornament itself is wonderful and I love the contented smile on his lips.  While this ornament doesn’t actually have sound, you can almost hear the music he is playing.

My real complaint with the ornament is the color.  Louis is a muted green, a very brown green.  I can’t quite explain my hesitation with the color.  It’s not that I think the color is not appropriate, but it doesn’t make for quite the standout ornament I was hoping for.  Overall, this is a minor complaint.

This ornament has a smaller base than the others in the series since it comes down to that narrow splash around the rock Louis has just stepped on.  However, that stand is sturdy enough that the ornament isn’t in danger of tipping over when you set it out.

There is a red ribbon for hanging the ornament on your tree, and it slips through the ring on the middle of Louis’s back.  It’s easy to see why the ornament is so stable when standing since it hangs perfectly straight.  Considering how much of him is extending beyond the middle of the ornament, that’s pretty impressive.

Despite my complaint about the color, Louis is still a very fun ornament.  I’m glad to have him in action in my ornament collection.

And check out the rest of the Art of Disney Animation Ornaments.

Original Price: $19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.