Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Ornament Review: Mickey and the Beanstalk - Storybook Classic Collection #1 - 2016 Disney Store Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Creative and fun take on this Disney short
Cons: All cons shrunk compared to the beanstalk
The Bottom Line:
Mickey climbs beanstalk
New limited series starts
Delightfully fun




The Disney Store Starts a New Series with a Piece that Reaches Above the Clouds

I’ll admit, I was hoping that The Disney Store was done with their limited edition ornament series.  I’ve enjoyed collecting the previous two series, but I’m getting overwhelmed with the space they are taking up.  Still, when I saw the Storybook Classic Collection series, I didn’t hesitate to start collecting them, which means I am now the proud owner of Mickey and the Beanstalk.

With all the scenes connected with this animated piece, I don’t think I would have ever picked this one for the ornament.  We just have Mickey, none of the other characters.  And he is climbing the beanstalk.  Yep, they just stuck with what is in the title.  Mickey is actually reaching the top of the beanstalk with a layer of clouds underneath him.  From the look on his face, it’s easy to guess that he’s just seen the giant’s castle for the first time.  The beanstalk is green, naturally, and curls up just a little from where Mickey is holding on with a nice sold trunk reaching down below him.

Now, while this isn’t what I might have picked if it were up to me, I absolutely love it.  The clouds have some glitter to them, which adds to the fun.  Yes, the green could easily get lost in the tree, but the rest will stand out.  And it is honestly a creative and brilliant ornament based on the short.  Now that I’ve seen it, I can’t picture anything else capturing the piece nearly as well.  Looking at it, you’ll immediately know what the piece represents, and you don’t have the size issues of trying to work Willie the giant into the ornament.

I mentioned the large trunk of the beanstalk already.  It provides a great base for the ornament, so you can place it out on any flat surface to display year round if you want.  The ornament comes with a red ribbon, and you can actually easily tuck in back behind the beanstalk and pretty much hide it if you want to go with this option.

Of course, if you do want to hang the ornament, you’ll want that red ribbon.  The ornament tips ever so slightly to one side, but it’s hard to tell, and once you place it in some branches, you’ll really never notice.

One other thing that pushed me over the edge with this ornament is the fact that there is an optional pin compliment for each entry in this series.  I have been collecting pins for almost a decade now, and I couldn’t resist those pins.  Alone or together, I like this ornament.

It’s looking like another expensive year for this DisNerd.  The Storybook Classic Collection series is once again going to be focusing on some delightful lesser merchandised characters, and I can’t wait to get them all.  And if they all turn out as good as Mickey and the Beanstalk, I’ll be delighted.

Check out the rest of the Storybook Ornament and Pin series.

Original Price: $19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.