Sunday, April 19, 2020

Disney Pin Review: Simba - Windows of Magic - 2019 Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: So many great details add to this Simba pin
Cons: Simba’s eyes look a little weird
The Bottom Line:
Simba in window
With so many fun details
Make this a winner

A Pin to Remember

When you have a villain and hero who look similar, it might be hard to create distinct pins for them.  That was the thought that crossed my mind when I first thought about Simba getting a Windows of Magic pin to balance out Scar’s Windows of Evil pin.  However, the artists who create Disney pins easily rose to the challenge.

These pins are designed to mimic stained glass windows, including a silver frame and silver lines through the design.  That can make some of the details hard to do, but the artists seem to have done a good job with that here.

As you’d expect, Simba is the focus of this window, although he doesn’t take up quite as much of it as you might expect.  At first glance, he appears to take up more, but if you look closely, his mane blends in with flames from the climax of the film.  About the only detail in Simba that looks weird are his eyes, but given the limitations of the medium, I understand.

Down at the bottom, they’ve added Timon and Pumba.  I’m not sure I would have figured out Timon is down there without seeing Pumba first, but once I spotted them both, I can’t stop seeing them.  They aren’t super detailed, but they look good given their size.  There are even a couple of lion prints above them.

Above Simba is a night sky.  You can spot a few stars below the vision of Mufasa in the clouds.  Yes, they even worked him into the window.  I think when I spotted him was when I fell so much in love with this pin.

The sides of this frame represent the grasslands where the story mostly takes place.  And up at the top of the frame is the lion that Rafiki draws to represent Simba.

Yes, this pin is that loaded with items.  You have to look closely to see them all, but they are there, and they are delightful.  I really enjoy spotting things.  I also appreciate that even at a glance you can tell the pins apart since Simba and Scar are distinct and look like themselves.

It’s those details that make this Windows of Magic entry, well, magical.  I’m so glad I was able to add Simba to my collection.

If you'd like to see a picture, I have one up on my Instagram account.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.