Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Book Review: Caught in the Act by Gayle Roper (Amheart Mysteries #2)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Real characters in an entertaining story
Cons: One sub-plot slows things down a very little, but it's only worth nothing in passing.
The Bottom Line:
Get caught in this book
As Merry's life continues
In this fun story




Merry Gets Caught in a Web of Murder and Romance

A decade ago, I first read three books by Gayle Roper about newspaper reporter Merrileigh Kramer and loved them. Recently, "Merry's" adventures have been republished and a fourth volume added. Seemed like the perfect time to reread them to me. Which is why I recently cracked the cover of Caught in the Act again. And it is still a great book.

It's the week before Christmas, but Merry's life is anything but merry. Since she has to be the on call reporter on Christmas Day, she won't get to leave Amhearst, Pennsylvania to spend time with her family in Philadelphia. Worse yet, her old boyfriend, Jack, has come to town expecting to be welcomed back with open arms. The catch is Merry is happily dating Curt. And neither knows the other exists.

But things get infinitely worse when Merry takes her co-worker Jolene home from work that night. Jolene is in the middle of a divorce. However, they find Arnie dead on the kitchen floor, the victim of a single gun shot.

Between her natural curiosity and her job as a reporter, Merry begins tracking down clues. Seems Arnie wasn't the nice guy everyone thought he was. But why did someone decide to kill him?

This book is definitely an equal mix of romance and mystery. That's not a bad thing because both plots are equally strong. While the book isn't as funny as the first, I found myself laughing at some of the romance scenes while also cringing for poor Merry. Even though I had read the book before, I couldn't remember who done it or why. The alert reader can problem figure it out before the end. I know I did. But I didn't figure out the motive before Merry did. And the climax was wonderfully suspenseful.

There was one sub-plot involving a series of interviews with a shelter for pregnant teens that seemed to slow the story down at times, but even that was compelling reading.

Adding to the joy are the complex characters. I identify a little too much with Merry's waffling and self-doubts, so I love her character. Yet she is strong when she needs to be. Jolene is actually the most complex character in the book, and I loved watching the layers unravel. Curt is a wonderful romantic lead, and even Jack comes across slightly better here then he did in the first book.

This is a Christian novel. But it's one of those I love where the Christianity is a part of the story via the characters and not forced into the story.

And the writing is wonderful. Merry's first person narration is lively, and the pages frankly flew past.

I'm glad I have an excuse to revisit these novels. If you love a good read, get Caught in the Act of reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.