Thursday, April 4, 2013

Game Review: Clue

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Good way to learn logic, different every time
Cons: I can't play by myself
The Bottom Line:
Play at who done it
Logically solve mystery
Fun for everyone




This Mystery Lover's Favorite Board Game

My love of mysteries isn't restricted to books. If I can find something with a mystery theme, I will probably love it. That's definitely the case with this classic board game. I've been playing Clue since I was a kid and still love it.

Game Description

Poor Mr. Boddy. All he wanted was a fun weekend with six of his friends at his mansion. One of those people wasn't as friendly as they appear, however, and they killed him. Your mission is to figure out who did it, what weapon they used, and where the crime took place.

How Do You Play it?

The game is designed for 2-6 players. 2 players make things too easy, although I played many a two player game as a kid. The game comes with a game board, die, six tokens, six "weapons," and 21 game cards. You also get detective notebooks to help you keep track of all the clues.

To start the game, you separate the cards into their three categories, suspects, weapons, and rooms. After shuffling the cards, you choose one from each category to place in the provided envelop. You've just selected the solution. Then, you mixed the remaining cards together and deal them out to the players. Depending on the number of players, some will have more then others.

Now that you're ready, each player picks one token, representing one of the suspects. They move around the board, trying to get into one of the nine rooms. Once you are in a room, you make a suggestion, naming one of the suspects, one of the weapons, and the room you are in. Now everyone else take turns showing you their cards to prove you wrong. If a player has a card, then you've eliminated it. After all, it can't possibly be in their hand and in the "guilty" envelop at the same time.

It's a race to eliminate all the possibilities before your opponents. Once you think you have it solved, you make an accusation, naming the guilty party, the murder weapon, and the room. If you are right, you've won. But be ware. If you are wrong, the guilty party gets you, too, and you are out of the game.

My Thoughts

The game really is ridiculously simple. Yet the various combinations make it different every time you play.

Depending on the skill level of those playing, the game can be very simple or complex. As a child, I always waited until I saw every card before making my accusation, hoping I'd stumble on the guilty party and see no card. And process of elimination is certainly one way to do it.

Now, as an adult, I try to think things through more. Can I eliminate a card by who always answers when a certain weapon is named? Why does that player always go into a certain room? It's these deductions that can help you win a game even faster and make it all the more fun.

I even find the names fun. Each token is a different color, and the names match the colors. As a result, you've got Colonel Mustard, Professor Plumb, Mr. Green, Miss Scarlett, Miss White, and Madame Peacock. The weapons are fairly standard (knife, revolver, candlestick, etc.), but the rooms provide some added fun. Since this is the mansion, the standard kitchen and dining room are joined by the ballroom, conservatory, billiard room, library, etc. Noticeably absent are a bedroom or bathroom, at least in the American editions.

Because the game contains small pieces (the weapons especially are small), you'll want to keep this away from small children. It's officially recommended for ages 8 and up, and that's probably about right, although it could change based on the child.

Clue is one of those timeless games that all ages can play. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to prove that Miss Scarlett did it with the rope in the study.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.