Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Music Review: All the Lovely Losers by Jason Gray

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Thoughtful and encouraging words
Cons: Only if you can't find the disc.
The Bottom Line:
My introduction
To an artist I now love
Lyrics are awesome




Encouragement for Lovely Losers Like You and Me

Back in 2007, I went to see a rock band I like in concert. Their opening act was Jason Gray. I'd never heard of the man, but figured I could sit through a few songs. Thirty minutes later, I was sorry to see his portion of the evening over. As soon as we reached intermission, I rushed out and bought All The Lovely Losers. I was not disappointed.

This isn't Jason's first release. I have read conflicting comments on whether or not this is his first label release. Either way, this is his first release on Centricity Records. He combines pop and rock for some catchy melodies that compliment his encouraging lyrics.

The overall theme of the album is "God uses the weak and broken." Every song really does examine that theme from some angle.

"Blessed Be" starts things out. It's a fun, upbeat opener, which is funny since the first line is "Losers." The idea of the song is taken from the Beatitudes of Matthew 5 and reminds us that God uses the broken and weak. You know, all the lovely losers. Since Jason plays guitar, that instrument is heavy in all the songs here. This one also features plenty of piano and some beautiful strings. The melody is absolutely catchy, and I could find myself singing it for hours if it weren't for the rest of the songs on the disc.

The theme of weakness is played on throughout the album. "Sing Through Me" is a prayer for God to fill Jason with God's thoughts. Obviously "Weak" deals with this theme as well. A little slower then the songs that have come before, this song is still mid-tempo. It explores our human nature to hide our weaknesses and how God really uses those to build us in His image.

"The Cut," a beautiful duet with Sara Groves, explores how God's cuts to our lives make us whole. It's a slow ballad filled with quiet guitar and cello.

But there are plenty of songs like the opener that offer encouragement. "This Far" is a reminder that God is still leading us even if we don't see it any more. I love the first line of the chorus "I don't believe You brought me this far to give up."

Equally inspiring is "I'm Not Going Down." While most of the disc is upbeat pop, this is one of the true rockers on the disc. It's a declaration of war despite the trials and setbacks of life. I absolutely love this inspiring song.

"Someday (The Butterfly)" explores the difference between what we were meant to be and how we currently live. Ultimately, it speaks of the longing to be with God in Heaven.

And just in case you think everything sounds too pat here, Jason reminds us in "Into the Mystery" that God is too big to ever be understood by a human mind.

The only song I don't care for on the disc is "Grace." The song creates an analogy between God's unconditional grace for us and the unconditional love of a woman. While every line is true and it makes me think about God's grace in a different light, the picture really bothers me at times. It's one of those I like it but I don't like it situations.

Whether this disc is truly introducing the world to Jason Gray or not is hardly the issue. All The Lovely Losers is a strong CD with plenty to say and plenty for us to think about. If you are a fan of Christian music, you owe it to yourself to get it.

CD Length: 51:24
Tracks:
1. Blessed Be
2. Sing Through Me
3. This Far
4. Weak
5. The Cut
6. You are Mercy
7. I'm Not Going Down
8. Into the Mystery
9. Someday (The Butterfly)
10. Move
11. Grace
12. Everything I Own

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.