Friday, April 5, 2013

Music Review: City on a Hill - It's Christmas Time

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun, worshipful Christmas music
Cons: A couple songs are only okay
The Bottom Line:
Many artists come
To worship Christmas at Christmas
On this fun CD




A Rock Offering at the Manger

When the worship craze hit Christian music a few years back, the artists on Essential Records got together and released City on a Hill, a collaborative worship collection. That release was so popular that it because the first of a four part series. One entry in the series was It's Christmas Time. This collection of original and traditional Christmas songs features rock arrangements and a Heavenly focus.

The disc opens with an instrumental version of the classic "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." It's only about 30 seconds long, just enough for one verse. And it features, appropriately enough, bells. It's just one note at a time, but it's a pretty way to start the disc.

Next up is "It's Christmas Time." Ironically enough, the title track is my least favorite of the original songs. It just seems less inspired then the others. This is a group song, and everyone on the disc sings at some point on the song. Basically, it just says, "Worship Christ at Christmas." Musically, it's got a nice blend of strings and guitar, making it sound like a soft rock Christmas song.

The other new songs fair much better. My favorite is "Bethlehem Town" which features the group Jars of Clay. It's a weird juxtaposition of the joy of Christmas and the pain of Good Friday so many years later. Yet the lyrics make me stop and wonder anew that God became man to sacrifice himself for us. Jars of Clay fans will recognize the style. The soft rock has the unmistakable sound of the group.

"Babe in the Straw" features Caedmon's Call. The song starts off very guitar heavy, but incorporates strings and even an accordion later in the song. The soft rock beat is catchy, and I love this song of wonder at God's gift.

I'm not normally a fan of Sara Groves, but I like her contribution here. "Child of Love" is a quiet lullaby that Mary might have sung that first Christmas night. It's got almost an acoustic feel to it with the guitar picking, flowing strings, and even a hint of flute.

For full out praise, look no further then Third Day's contribution, "Manger Throne." Their Southern Rock comes through as they lead us in praising Jesus. By the last verse, they've made the comparison between the dirty manger and our hearts.

Also by the last verse, lead singer Mac Powell has been joined by Julie Miller and Derri Daugherty. This track dissolves into the next track, "Away in a Manger." While there's some rock to the arrangement, the instrument you hear the most this time is horn, making for a very traditional arrangement.

Of the traditional songs, my favorite is Out of Eden's take on "Do You Hear What I Hear?" The ladies' voices soar and their harmonies are tight.

I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed "O Holy Night." While I love that carol, I'm not a big fan of Michael Tait or Leigh Nash from Sixpence None the Richer who have the vocals here. Yet it still sounds great. It helps that they play it straight. Yes, it's got a rockier beat then normal, but the strings help make it sound like a Christmas song.

My biggest complaint when I first bought the disc was that the majority of the new songs were bunch together, which made it hard to see it as a Christmas disc right away. Believe me, over the last five years, that issue has gone away. All these songs now feel appropriate for the season to me.

I know rock music is very seldom associated with Christmas. But if you enjoy soft rock and are looking for a Christ focused collection of Christmas music, you need look no further then City on a Hill: It's Christmas Time.

CD Length: 40:46
Tracks:
1. I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (Instrumental)
2. It's Christmas Time - all artists
3. Silent Night - Sixpence None the Richer
4. Holy Emmanuel - Terry Scott Taylor
5. Babe in the Straw - Caedmon's Call
6. Child of Love - Sara Groves
7. Bethlehem Town - Jars of Clay
8. Manger Throne - Third Day with Derri Daugherty and Julie Miller
9. Away in a Manger - Julie Miller and Derri Daugherty
10. Do You Hear What I Hear? - Out of Eden
11. In the Bleak Midwinter - Paul Colman Trio
12. O Holy Night

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.