Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Music Review: The Friendship Company by Sandi Patty

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun songs for kids and adults
Cons: Those looking for a story will be disappointed
The Bottom Line:
Sandi sings for kids
Songs that adults will still like
And it holds up well




Different for a Kid's Record, but Great for All Ages

When Sandi Patty released The Friendship Company in 1989, I was in high school and too old for a "kid's album." Or at least that's what I told myself. So I made sure my brother got a copy. He never got too into it, but I fell in love with it. I could often be found listening to it. And when I replaced my records with CD's, this is one I made a point of getting.

Most Christian children's albums of the day features lots of dialogue and kid singers. In fact, by the late 80's they had developed into full blown musicals with a storyline that incorporated the songs. This release was a decided step away from that. There's dialogue on a few of the songs, but for the most part it's Sandi singing with a bunch of kids.

Of course, there was a built in market for this project. In the last 80's, Sandi was the top female artist in Christian music. Her adult contemporary style and amazing voice made her extremely popular. Since many of her fans had kids, they would rush out and buy this record for them.

Now all this isn't to say that it won't appeal to kids. It's got some very upbeat catchy tunes. It may not have a story, but it is fun. Yet the lyrics will appeal to adults, too. This is something that parents will enjoy right along with their kids.

There are two main themes on this disc. The obvious one is friendship, as found in such songs as "The Friendship Company," "Love Makes a Friend Be a Friend Like You," and "Forever Friends." The other theme is how special we are to God, which crops up in "Masterpiece," "We're in This Thing Together," and "That's the Love of God."

The CD starts right out with the fun title track. It's fast track that celebrates the friendship we can have with other believers no matter their land or language. As with most songs here, the instrumentals include guitar, piano, drums, and orchestra instruments. On this particular piece, you notice the horns, but things are pretty well blended.

"Masterpiece" is the first slower track here. Sandi opens and closes it by quoting from Psalm 139. She then sings about how God has made every person to be special. This is a song that any parent could sing as she sings "I'm so glad that God has given you to me." It's a quiet song that would make a good lullaby.

My favorite track here also includes the most dialogue and features the character Gerbert. At the time, Gerbert was a puppet that had his own records and a TV show. "We're in this Thing Together" starts with Sandi encouraging Gerbert that, even though his friends had been mean to him, God still loves him. They then do this song as a duet, one of two songs that weren't written for this album. It's an upbeat song that often gets stuck in my head for several days after hearing it. I don't mind in the least since I can always use the reminder that God is with me no matter what I am facing.

The other non-original track is "Sandi's Sunday School Sing-a-Long." This medley combines many classics from Sunday School into one fun track. I'm not sure how prominent "Arky, Arky," "If You're Happy and You Know It," "I've Got the Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy," and "Do Lord" are today, but I grew up singing them every week. There are 13 songs in this track in total, so none of them get a full version, but at over 6 minutes, it is the longest track here. Sandi occasionally says something by way of transition, but it's mostly singing. Still, there is some fun back and forth between Sandi and her older daughter Anna when they sing "Deep and Wide."

The disc closes with two slower songs. "Love Makes a Friend be a Friend Like You" is a duet with Hannah Holland, a young girl. It's a beautiful ballad that celebrates the caring that friends give each other. Finally, there's "Forever Friends." It's a song that reminds us that even when friends move away, through God we never truly say goodbye. This is really the only song on the disc that shows off Sandi's amazing vocal power and range, yet it never becomes over powering. It's an excellent disc closer.

I'll admit this isn't a disc I pull out often. But every time I do I remember just how much I love it. So if you are looking for a disc that you and your kids can enjoy together, hunt down a copy of Sandi Patti and the Friendship Company.

CD Length: 37:50
Tracks:
1. The Friendship Company
2. Miracles Can Happen
3. Masterpiece
4. We're in This Thing Together
5. That's the Love of God
6. Sandi's Sunday School Sing-a-Long
7. The Miracle of Jesus
8. Beautiful Feet
9. Love Makes a Friend be a Friend Like You
10. Forever Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.