Sunday, April 21, 2013

Music Review: Let Love Win by Daniel Kirkley

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Beautiful music and encouraging lyrics
Cons: Too slow and introspective for some
The Bottom Line:
Don't expect upbeat
Music beautiful, thoughtful
And worth listening to




Daniel Kirkley Offers a Call to Hope and Love

When you blindly buy a new artist, you never quite know what you will get. That was pretty much the case when I bought Daniel Kirkley's debut, Let Love Win. What I got is beautiful music and encouraging lyrics.

Daniel's music is hard to describe. I read one review that described it as dramatic pop, and I can see that. Personally, I thought it leaned slightly toward the inspirational genre. While there are some up beatish songs, they never get beyond mid tempo, although the loud, dramatic nature of the music hides that fact. But at this point, arguing semantics and trying to pigeon hole the CD isn't the point. The point is, if you like up beat pop or rock, this isn't the release for you.

So I haven't scared you away yet? Great. Let's keep listening.

The disc opens with the first radio single. "My New Dawn" is a pretty good indication of what is to come. While Daniel sings of putting the hurts and disappointments of the past behind him, he is accompanied by piano, strings, and drums. The song starts quietly, but the levels build as it progresses. By the time it ends, it has become rather dramatic with guitar thrown into the mix for good measure. But Daniel is never over shadowed by the music behind him.

In the aftermath of the Virginia Tech massacre, Daniel was invited to come sing "Make it Beautiful" at the memorial service. This quiet, slow song is a prayer for God to use pain for good. With the piano and strings behind him, it really is beautiful.

My first time through, I was immediately drawn to "Lay it Down." Of course, that was partially because I already knew it. I've been a fan since I first heard Jaci Velasquez sing it. His take on the song isn't that different than the original, to be honest. It is still a beautiful, soaring song of surrender of "All of my hopes and my dreams and my best laid plans."

Nichole Nordeman wrote the title track. "Let Love Win" is a soaring ballad that is a prayer for more love in the world. It reminds us gently of all the pain and suffering in the world. But instead of preaching, it asks God to begin with him. Honestly, with the way the music plays and doesn't build until the end, I could almost picture this song in a traditional Broadway musical.

My favorite track here is also a rarity in Christian music circles. "A Sacred Moment" is a song about celibacy before marriage. But it's not preachy. It's a prayer for strength to not cross boundaries. Yet it is also a celebration of the joy of new love. It's also one of the most up beat songs here (which is mid tempo by most standards.) Yet the emphasis is on hand picked guitar. The strings and drums are kept in the background the entire time.

The disc closes with the stunning ballad "All Things." It expresses pure worship in the way man should truly approach God. It starts with piano, yet strings join in yet again. It is impossible not to be lifted in worship while listening to this track.

In a lesser voice, this disc might not work, but Daniel pulls it off. His voice is rich and powerful, making it a joy to listen to. While I would personally like to see a little more variety in the style, he pulls this off with excellence.

Let Love Win won't be everyone's cup of tea. But if you like CD's that show off strong male vocalists, you should definitely give this one a listen.

CD Length: 45:37
Tracks:
1. My New Dawn
2. Heavenly
3. Let Love Win
4. Lay it Down
5. Make it Beautiful
6. Everyday People
7. A Sacred Moment
8. Come (A World That Waits)
9. Unrepeatable
10. For the Life of Me
11. All Things

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.