Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Music Review: Sierra by Sierra

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Challenging lyrics, beautiful harmonies
Cons: Slow songs often too slow
The Bottom Line:
Some tight harmonies
A highlight of this debut
Along with lyrics




A Female Trio with Harmonies to Spare

Any long term music fan will have CDs in their collection by artists no one else remembers. That's the case with my Sierra discs. Heck, even during their career in the 90's, I don't think that many people had heard of them. But ever since I got Sierra, their self-titled debut, I loved their music.

Sierra was a female trio made up of Deborah Schnelle, Jennifer Hendrix, and Wendi Foy Green. I'm not sure anyone ever fully described their sound. I like to think of them as adult contemporary by way of folk music. There are a few mid-tempo tracks here, but most of the pieces are rather slow. Most of their songs feature the traditional keyboard, guitar, bass, and drums, but they do slip horns, violin, and even sax in on some of these songs.

But why they stand out to me is their harmonies. These ladies can blend. And their three part harmony sounds amazing. I heard a brief snippet of them singing a cappella, and I wish they had recorded some songs that way.

The biggest radio hit from this disc was "When I Let it Go." It mainly focuses on guitar, but you can hear the keyboard and bass in there, too. The song talks about the struggle to surrender to God and how peaceful life can be when we actually do. While they take turns singing solo on the verses, their harmonies absolutely soar on the chorus.

Then there's the title track from their self-titled debut (Otherwise known as "Sierra" by Sierra from Sierra). It's very bass heavy, but what I would describe as just a tad below mid-tempo. The ladies sing just about everything together here as they challenge us to continue climbing to a higher place in our walk with the Lord.

And challenge is the key word for two more tracks on this disc. "No Stone to Throw" is probably the most upbeat song on the disc. And it has a very catchy tune. The song tells the story of "Maggie" a down on her luck woman who everyone rejects because of her past. Yet the verses remind us that we can't throw stones at her since we are sinners as well. Why is that so hard to remember?

Equally convicting is "This is Religion." The chorus is taken directly from the verses in James 1 about God honoring religion helping the orphans and widows. And the verses discuss just such a person.

The only real strike against the disc is the slower songs. While a couple are great, "Common Ground" and "Lift it Up" are just too slow. I get bored with them before they are over. And it doesn't help that they are back to back.

Deborah has struggled over the years with anorexia, and that is the subject of "Tearing Down the Temple." It's an honest reflection of the struggle this eating disorder means in a life. And it is refreshing to see such an honest struggle portrayed in Christian music.

The disc closes with a cover of Leslie Phillips' "By My Spirit." And I will always be thankful to this disc for introducing me to the song. The chorus is from Zechariah 4:6. And the song on a whole reminds us that it is only God who is able to free us from any struggle. Yet is also reminds us that He can and truly wants to. With the mix of instruments and their harmonies, it is a hauntingly beautiful song. I've actually tracked down the original version. While I like it, this is the one I love.

Sierra's career may be over, but this debut will also be a treasured part of my music collection.

CD Length: 46:13
Tracks:
1. Bring All the Walls Down
2. When I Let it Go
3. No Stone to Throw
4. Common Ground
5. Lift it Up
6. The Promise Land
7. This is Religion
8. Sierra
9. Chasing After the Wind
10. Tearing Down the Temple
11. By My Spirit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.