Saturday, April 13, 2013

Music Review: There I Go Again by David Meece

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: More great songs from an old favorite
Cons: Dated production, did we really need "We are the Reason" again?
The Bottom Line:
80's musician
Returns with brand new music
If not production




David Meece Returns Even If Briefly

During the 70's and 80's, David Meece had a successful career in Christian music. I didn't discover his music until just before his career came to an abrupt halt. He released a best of collection that teased about a new release coming later that year. And it never came. Fast forward to 2002, and you get There I Go Again. Being the fan I am, I raced to get it on release day. And I have enjoyed it ever since.

Even if you didn't know David's history, you'd know he was heavily influenced by the 80's from the very first song. "No Other Hope" opens the disc and it is a throw back to that decade. It opens with a heavy guitar riff over drums. In fact, this song blurs the line between David's normal pop and rock. The song makes for a strong opener as it reminds us that God is our only hope.

The 80's sound doesn't really go away with the next track, either. "Dancing with the Enemy" is definitely in the pop category with its hooks. It's lots of fun as it points how sin has taken over the world.

Frankly, the 80's influence never truly goes away, although it does diminish over the rest of the songs. Mostly, it is the use of synthesizer over piano and heavy drums that give the CD that feel. Frankly, I'm a little puzzled about the synthesizer. David is a classically trained pianist, and he's put that to good use before. Here, it only shows up on a couple songs. That really disappointed me.

Not that the songs are a disappointment at all. The major theme here seems to be dependence on God. It keeps showing up time and time again. For example, "I Just Want to be with You" is a mid-tempo prayer for God to help when the world seems dark and tiring.

When I first saw song titles, I assumed "Run" would be about running from sin. I was wrong. Instead, it is about running to God when we need His help. This song has more of an 80's feel and a very fast beat. In fact, this is the most upbeat song on the disc. Which is appropriate given the title of the song, I guess.

"Things You Never Gave to Me" features a bit more piano like playing on the synthesizer. The song talks about times that God's will didn't mess with what David thought he wanted. While I suspected the theme from the first time I saw the title, I was surprised to find "Thank you" being the predominant phrase of the song. It's a challenge to me when things don't go my way to remember that God really does know what he is doing.

"There I Go Again" is an honest look at the struggle with sin. In it, David confesses to falling into the same sins time and time again even though he knows better. It's got a catchy beat and melody that will get stuck in your head for a while, which is a good thing. This is a good lesson to meditate on.

David's piano playing really takes the forefront on "By the Waters." It's an absolutely beautiful ballad that is just David and his piano. It's a prayer for renewal from God. I really do wish a few more songs on the disc had sounded like this. Not that I mind the 80's sound. I just like this, too.

The disc ends with a new, live recording of "We are the Reason." This classic from 1980 is David's signature song. Frankly, I'll admit to being slightly disappointed to find it here. I already have three copies of it on CD. I would have preferred that space go to something new.

I do find it funny David chose to make the production on this disc sound so dated. It limits the appeal to his fans. As the lyrics show, he still has plenty to say. A more contemporary sound might have attracted newer fans and prolonged his career.

But David didn't consult me. And I can't complaint too loudly about the results because I truly do enjoy There I Go Again. It was wonderful to have new music from a favorite artist.

CD Length: 49:59
Tracks:
1. No Other Hope
2. Dancing with the Enemy
3. I Just want to be with You
4. I'll be Waiting for You
5. Run
6. Things You Never Gave Me
7. Raise These Arms
8. There I Go Again
9. Help Me Stand
10. By the Waters
11. We are the Reason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.