Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Music Review: Ultimate Music Makeover - The Song of Michael W. Smith

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun, new takes on truly classic songs
Cons: I still can't get past the title.
The Bottom Line:
Tribute to Smitty
That puts a fun spin on some
Of his best music




Michael W. Smith's Songs Get a Rock Makeover

Oh the things you can do when you own a record label. In 1996, Christian pop artist Michael W. Smith launched Rocketown Records as an independent record studio to help nurture new acts. Low and behold nine years later saw the release of Ultimate Music Makeover: The Songs of Michael W. Smith. Yep, this CD is a collection of 10 rock artists covering 10 pop hits by the label's president. All kidding aside this is a fun release. And Michael is approaching legend status in Christian music, so it's no ego trip.

Before we get to the music, a quick aside. What was up with that title? Ultimate Music Makeover? As soon as Extreme Makeover drops off the radar, that title is going to see very dated.

I must admit I don't listen to many of the artists on this CD very often. I'm a (very) light rock man, and most of these artists are fairly rocky, at least by my standards. So I was a little apprehensive about getting the disc. I needed have worried. While these covers won't replace the originals, I love them.

The most faithful adaptation is Tree 63's version of "Missing Person." It helps that this was the rockiest song to begin with. Honestly, die hard fans will notice a difference here or there. It's still the guitar heavy song that took Christian music by storm in 1998, only slightly louder. And the lyrics about loosing your first love for Christ are still spot on.

But Tree 63 isn't alone with their close cover. All Star United's "Go West, Young Man" is slightly faster and has a greater sense of fun. "Secret Ambition" gets some added distortion when David Crowder*Band covers it. But essentially these two songs are the same.

But those three songs are honestly about all that sound the same. For example, Shaun Groves (an artist on the Rocketown label) covers Rocketown (gee, I wonder how he chose that?) While the original was guitar heavy, Shaun really speeds it up. It's no longer a ballad about a town that needs Jesus but an honest to goodness rock song.

Now Shaun is normally light rock at best. So it's probably surprising that his label mate, Taylor Sorensen, really slows down his song. See, Taylor is a rock artist. Yet "Lamu" is one of the slowest songs on the disc. It starts out with the strong guitar and synth, but it seems to slow down a little when Taylor starts to sing. Oh, it's still rock. But it is definitely slower then the original. Since this is one of my favorite lesser know Michael W. Smith songs, I'm glad to see it included. And I really do like this version just as much.

Speaking of the lesser known entries, two all but forgotten songs from his debut get redone here. Since I like these songs, it's nice to see them get new life. Sarah Kelly covers "You Need a Saviour" and really jazzes it up. It's much faster with screaming guitar all the way through instead of the original's keyboard. Michael's song Ryan covers "The Race is on." I fully admit it took me several listens to appreciate this song. Why? Because he slows it down. Now shouldn't a song about racing be fast? But you know what? It works. And why Ryan hasn't had a solo release of his own is beyond me. He's got a strong voice.

No collection of Michael W. Smith's songs would be complete without his signature tune, "Friends." It gets covered here by rock band Stryper. Now the songs is supposed to be a quiet ballad, and I wondered how exactly this would turn out. It's fine. The first verse is fairly faithful and quiet, but it gets rockier as the songs progresses until it is a power ballad with loud guitar.

When I first got this CD, I thought it would be one of those things I'd listen to a few times , set aside, and never pick up again. But I've surprised myself with just how much I enjoy it. True, I pull out the originals more often then this one. But when I'm in the mood for something a little different, I really enjoy Ultimate Music Makeover.

CD Length: 41:37
Tracks:
1. Go West, Young Man - All Star United
2. You Need a Saviour - Sarah Kelly
3. Rocketown - Shaun Groves
4. Secret Ambition - David Crowder*Band
5. Pray for Me - Plumb
6. The Race is on - Ryan Smith
7. Lamu - Taylor Sorensen
8. Missing Person - Tree 63
9. On the Other Side - Todd Agnew
10. Friends - Stryper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.