Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Music Review: What If We by Brandon Heath

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: "Wait and See" and other encouraging tracks
Cons: Songs tend to blend together
The Bottom Line:
A strong follow up
Music still blends a little
Wonderful lyrics




What if We Like Brandon Heath's Sophomore CD

After Brandon Heath won the Gospel Music Association Award for best new artist, I went out and bought his debut. It took some time, but I grew to like that project. So I was excited when his follow up, What If We, came out. It's mostly more of the same, which is mostly good.

The first four tracks really stand out in my mind. The disc opens with "Give Me Your Eyes." I was immediately surprised to find it included a strong hip hop beat. It's a departure for the almost acoustic pop/soft rock artist. It's not something that carries over to the rest of the disc. But it certainly works here over the guitar, keyboard, and hint of strings. And the lyrics are powerful as they remind us of our need to see those in need around us.

Brandon gets back in more familiar territory with "Wait and See," easily my favorite track on the disc. It's got an upbeat, sunny pop sound dominated by piano and guitar. I think I needed the reminder that God is always at work in our lives perfecting us right now. It has absolutely resonated with me to the point that I can just listen to this song for 30 minutes straight and still not be tired of it.

I have long said I am a sucker for songs about trusting God, mainly because I know it's something I struggle with. Brandon grabs me with "Trust You." The guitar based song talks about our weaknesses and God's strength before reminding us that God earned our trust when He gave up His life for ours. I'd never thought of it that way before, but after that ultimate sacrifice, I shouldn't have anything I am holding back from Him. Not, to actually practice that in my life.

"London" is one of those songs I would love to hear a back story on. This slow ballad tells the story of someone visiting London but not enjoying it because they are missing their special someone. The love ballad starts out with just piano for the first verse and chorus before chiming in with drums and guitar for the rest of the song. The yearning is Brandon's voice absolutely makes the song.

Unfortunately, it's at this point that the disc begins to run into the same problem his debut did. Despite his attempts to vary the sound, many of these songs just blend together for me. True, there are ballads like the beautiful "Love Never Fails" and "When I'm Alone" mixed in with the soft rock, but it isn't enough to make the rest of the disc memorable to me.

Which is a shame because there are several good songs on their own here. "Sunrise" reminds us that, even when all looks lost, there will be hope eventually. "Sore Eyes" is written from one friend trying to offer encouragement to another. In a similar vein, "Listen Up" is a promise to stop talking and truly listen to a friend in need. And "Fight Another Day" adds just a hint of that earlier hip hop style to a song that reminds us that things will get better.

I mentioned "Love Never Fails" a minute ago. I have a feeling that this song will be a wedding classic here before too long. It really is a beautiful ballad that describes love. It's got finger picked guitar complimented by lush strings. It's tailor made for that big day.

The disc closes out with a worship song. "No Not One," co-written with Christy Nockels (who also recorded it on her solo debut), is a declaration of how great God is. Again, it's got guitar complimented with strings and piano and drums.

What If We shows that Brandon has grown as an artist. There are quite a few great songs here when taken individually. As a whole package, it just doesn't quite live up to its full potential, but is well worth buying.

CD Length: 40:18
Tracks:
1. Give Me Your Eyes
2. Wait and See
3. Trust You
4. London
5. Sunrise
6. Sore Eyes
7. Love Never Fails
8. Listen Up
9. Fight Another Day
10. When I'm Alone
11. No Not One

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.