Saturday, June 29, 2013

Cracker Review: Flipsides Pretzel Crackers - Cheddar


Stars: 1 out of 5
Pros: A snack I'm not tempted to buy regularly.
Cons: All you taste is pretzel - not even the advertised cheddar can be tasted here
The Bottom Line:
You want some cheddar?
There is none to be found here
All you'll taste?  Pretzel




This is No Flipside to These Crackers.  They're All Bad.

When Keebler first released the Flipsides pretzel crackers, I had to give them a try.  I'm not a big fan of pretzels because all I usually taste with them is straight salt, but I thought in a cracker they might be okay.  I really didn't like them, but every so often I forget that and try a box of one of the flavored ones they've released since.  Guess what, I don't like those either.  This year, I gave Flipsides - Cheddar a try with the exact same result.

The idea behind these snacks is to combine pretzels and crackers.  One side is a cracker and the flipside is a pretzel.  The problem with them is that the pretzel side is overwhelming.  Just by the taste, I'd never be able to tell there's a cracker side at all.  Add to that these must be made of at least 50% salt.  Snacking on these makes me so thirsty even hours after I've had some.

So, the box I currently has are cheddar flavored.  I love cheddar.  And if I close my eyes and concentrate really hard, I might notice a bit of the cheddar flavor in there with the pretzel.  But then again, it might just be my imagination.  Yep, all I can taste still is the pretzel.

Looking at the ingredients proves my theory on salt is wrong.  It's actually the sixth ingredient behind enriched flour, soybean oil, sugar, white cheddar cheese, and wheat flour.  And yet it's still all I can taste.

And the nutrition facts?  That's enough to turn me off them.  The serving size is 5 crackers.  Yeah, like anyone would only eat 5 crackers at a time.  That's 70 calories, 30 from fat.  No nutrients at all, but you do get 9% of your recommended dose of sodium.

I eat too much salt as it is, I'm sure.  But I like the salt to enhance the flavor of what I'm already eating not overwhelm it.  Hopefully this box of Flipsides - Cheddar will be my last attempt to like the Flipsides pretzel crackers.

1 comment:

  1. Flip sides are great your opinion is garbage. No offense.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.