Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ice Cream Bar Review: Magnum Double Caramel Ice Cream Bar

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Such a delicious combo of chocolate and caramel
Cons: High in calories
The Bottom Line:
Delicious ice cream
With chocolate, caramel
But must eat wisely

Decadent Indulgence on a Stick

While I love chocolate as much as the next guy, I love caramel even more.  That's why, when I found Magnum Double Caramel Ice Cream Bars, I had to try them.  You don't often see caramel on an ice cream bar.  It's not surprise to me that I love them.

The double caramel in the name is actually a little misleading.  The bars have a vanilla ice cream base.  That is coated with chocolate before a thin layer of caramel is added.  Finally, the whole thing is covered with a shell of Belgium milk chocolate.  So really, the double refers to the chocolate and not the caramel.

Semantics don't matter when the result is this good.  The blend of chocolate and caramel is perfect, and the ice cream is a great base for it.  It's hard not to lick every last bit off the stick the ice cream bar sits on when I'm done.

But this is definitely a case where ignorance was bliss.  I made the mistake of looking at the nutritional information.  Let's start with the good news, shall we?  You actually can get some calcium, iron, and vitamin A out of one bar.  Now for the bad news.  One 3.38 oz bar contains 360 calories, 200 of them are from fat.  YIKES!  When I think of how many I ate last summer, it's no wonder I never lost any weight even with all the running I did.

The ingredients aren't really that surprising considering what you are eating.  Major ingredients listed include milk, cream, sugar, whey, cocoa butter, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, and chocolate liquor.

Then there's the price.  While my local grocery store has them, I usually get them at Wal-Mart where you can buy one bar for $1.75 or 3 for $3.88.  Yeah, these are not cheap.  Yet another reason to save them for a special occasion.

I can't give up Magnum Double Caramel Ice Cream Bars.  They are just too delicious.  But I am going to have to exercise some self-control in how often I eat them.  The calorie count is just too high to indulge all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.