Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ice Cream Bar Review: Magnum Classic Ice Cream Bars

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Delicious milk chocolate coating over vanilla ice cream
Cons: Pricey, empty calories
The Bottom Line:
High calory count
Expensive ice cream but still
Worth it as a treat

They Call This Milk Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Bar Classic for a Reason

Milk chocolate seems to be the main form of chocolate available in the United States.  After all, there's chocolate, which is really milk chocolate, and dark chocolate or white chocolate.  That's probably why Magnum Classic is the milk chocolate variety of the ice cream treat.

These bars originated in Europe and are finally widely available here in the states.  (And no, I don't know what they call this bar in Europe or how widely milk chocolate is used over there versus other varieties.)  They are delicious vanilla ice cream in a thick coating of Belgian chocolate.  As I already said, this particular variety uses a milk chocolate coating to wrap the vanilla.

I am partial to milk chocolate, so this is my favorite of the bars that just have chocolate in them.  The chocolate is rich and offsets the vanilla perfectly.  It is pure deliciousness.

Which is a good thing because one bar is 240 calories, 140 of them from fat.  Looking for some nutrition out of them?  Well, one bar will give you 8% of the daily recommended dose of iron and calcium and 4% of vitamin A.  There's nothing beyond those three, however.  Then again, what would you expect from a dessert that lists milk, cream, sugar, cocoa butter, and chocolate liquor as main ingredients?

These are certainly on the expensive side.  A box of three will set you back $4 or more.

Between the cost and the calories, these bars are a treat I should indulge in less than I do.  Some day, I will learn self control.  Stop laughing.  I mean it.

In the mean time, if you want a milk chocolate ice cream bar, Magnum Classic is one that can't be beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.