Friday, June 28, 2013

Ice Cream Bar Review: Magnum White Ice Cream Bars

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Ice cream bar made from quality parts...
Cons: ...that create an overly sweet whole
The Bottom Line:
This ice cream bar has
Too much sweetness in the shell
Not my favorite

There is Such a Thing as Too Sweet, and Magnum White Bars Proves It

I know that many chocolate purists don't consider white chocolate to be real chocolate.  While I can see where they are coming from, I actually like it.  That's why I was willing to give Magnum White ice cream bars a chance.  Unfortunately, they are just too sweet for their own good.

Magnum ice cream bars have been around overseas for a while, but they just made their way to the United States about a year ago.  They currently come in six flavors, and this particular flavor features vanilla ice cream surrounded by a shell of Belgian white chocolate.

Now understand that these are always made with high quality ingredients.  Well, as high quality as you can get when you are talking about stuff that is bad for you.  Still, the main ingredients are milk, cream, sugar, and cocoa butter.

Not that I would call these good for you.  One bar is 250 calories 140 of them from fat.  And don't even think about looking for these as a source of anything good for you.

Normally, this is the part of a food review where I'd say it doesn't matter because it tastes so good.  However, I don't feel that way this time.  I guess I like my ice cream bars to have regular chocolate on the outside and not an added layer of sweetness.  That's what you get here.  Biting into one of these bars, you tastes sweet, but that's about it.  There's nothing to differentiate the tastes, so ultimately it winds up tasting rather bland.

For those who don't like ice cream bars on a stick, know that these do have a pop cycle stick in them.  They are also rather expensive.  A box of three is almost four dollars at Wal-Mart.

I enjoy several of the flavors enough to ignore the calories and bad ingredients, but I will be giving the Magnum White a pass in the future.  They aren't bad but are overly sweet for my tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.