Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Ornament Review: Joe to the World

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun pun and a nice looking ornament with plenty of good detail
Cons: Mainly only appeals to coffee lovers
The Bottom Line
Perfect ornament
For all the coffee lovers
Who enjoy a pun




Even a Christmas Tree Needs Some Joe

I am not a coffee drinker, so Hallmark's 2011 ornament Joe to the World really didn't appeal to me.  However, I still bought one.  Why?  Because I have a friend who loves his coffee, and I just couldn't pass up a chance to buy it for him as a gift.

The ornament features a Tomco coffee carafe and a mug.  The carafe is tipped such that a steam of coffee is flowing into the mug.  But the silver carafe and the red mug had a swirl and star design on it.  And the mug has "Joe to the World" written on it.

Wondering about that Tomco brand?  I'm sure it is an invention of the Hallmark artist responsible for the ornament - Tom Best.

The ornament is rather simple, but it looks nice.  Both parts are held together by the stream of coffee which is made out of plastic, so that makes me wonder if it might break easily if not handled with care.

There is no way to stand this ornament up, so don't even try.  When you hang it, you'll find it hangs at a bit of an angle.  Yes, the carafe is at an angle since it is pouring coffee into the mug.  But the mug isn't straight either.  However, if you look inside the mug, you'll see that's on purpose.  The level of coffee inside the mug is off level by just enough to keep the "liquid" parallel to the floor.  And you'll also see that a little bit of coffee is splashing up inside.

And I have to comment on the pun.  I love a good pun, and every time I see this, I grin a little at the take off from the classic Christmas carol.  And as an added bonus, did I mention I was giving this to a friend named Joe?

The biggest strike against this ornament is that it won't appeal to non-coffee drinkers like me.  However, that doesn't seem to be a problem because the ornament has proved to be a hot seller in Hallmark stores this year.  If you are fortunately enough to find out, snap it up.

Joe to the World really is a fun ornament that will have a natural appeal to coffee drinkers, especially punny ones.

Original Price: $12.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.