Friday, October 11, 2013

Ornament Review: A Thanksgiving Feast - 2012 Hallmark Peanuts Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good sculpt and great tie in to the special
Cons: Tips forward quite a bit
The Bottom Line:
Unusual feast
Remembered as Hallmark does
With an ornament



Peanuts Style Thanksgiving Feast

In 2012, Hallmark released their first Thanksgiving ornament – A Thanksgiving Feast.  Since Christmas is the only holiday I decorate for, I was sorely tempted, but I resisted getting it.  This year, with the Peanuts All Year Long series, I went back and got it.  I plan to display it side by side with the official ornament in the series since I think it will make a nice compliment.

As you may have guessed by now, this ornament features Snoopy and Woodstock from the popular comic strip Peanuts.  Snoopy is wearing a Pilgrim hat and a vest.  Woodstock is standing on the brim of the hat, and he’s wearing an Indian headband with a feather sticking up.  Snoopy is holding a plate with a traditional Thanksgiving feast on it – buttered toast, jelly beans, and pop corn.

What?  That’s not what you eat every year?  Well, it was the feast that Charlie Brown served his self-invited guests in the classic special A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.  I always enjoy watching it every year, and the fact that this ornament harkens back to the special was almost enough to make me break down and buy it last year.

The ornament really is cute.  Woodstock is pretty small, but he always is in these ornaments.  But even so the details they manage to put in the ornament is nice.  And the fact that Snoopy is servicing this particular meal just makes me smile.  I can’t help it, I’m enough of a Peanuts fan.  And Snoopy and Woodstock are obviously looking forward to it because they are both licking their lips in anticipation.

Snoopy stands on his own two feet, which is a good thing since I intend to set him out in front of the Peanuts all Year Long display.  Despite the fact that he's got the plate out in front of him, he wants to tip back a bit, so if you set him on something that gets bumped a lot, he will fall over.

He also does not hang straight.  Again, the plate is the reason since it makes him tip forward.  How can a detail I love cause problems like that?  Anyway, he tips so far forward he looks like he is standing on his toes.

One of the things I debated long and hard about last year was rather to get this ornament or not.  I’m glad I went back and track down A Thanksgiving Feast this year because I am going to enjoy having it.

If you like this ornament, you might be interested in the Happiness is Peanuts All Year Long series.

Original Price: $12.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.