Friday, June 20, 2014

June 20th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Welcome to Friday.  My last free day for a while since I'm starting a new job on Monday.  Excited.  Nervous.  But my bank account will be happy even if it means I'll be reading fewer books.

But that's not what you came to hear about.  You're looking for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  So let's get to it.  This week's book is Basil Instinct by Shelley Costa.  It's the second in a series about a family that runs an Italian restaurant.



I'm reading it right now because I got a copy to review.  The book actually hits shelves on Tuesday.

And it begins with:

At 9:41 PM I uttered those fateful words: "How bad could it be?"  If you didn't tumble out of your crib yesterday, surely you know that the universe hearts those words as a challenge.  So it sends you a hurricane or a tax audit or a new man who still lives with his mother.  Even so, I didn't see it coming.

Now I'm going to cheat a little because, frankly, page 56 is a bit boring.  It's a fine page moving the story along, but nothing that catches the interest for a snippet like this.  Unlike the first two paragraphs of page 50:

I took a big breath and swung open the door to the kitchen classroom.
Which was when a bunch of lighted matches, arcing through the air, damn near hit me.

Really, when I read those sentences, I just couldn't find anything to compare.  They are took good to pass up, right?

I'm aiming to have my review up on Tuesday, but with the new job, it's not the guarantee it would have been when I had hours to sit and read.  I'm not much past page 56 at the moment, but I expect to be able to make some good progress tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. Lighted matches? That definitely sounds interesting! The Beginning made me laugh because it is so true! The title is an amazing play on the movie, I just love it when there's jokes like that! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love the first book in the series, too. It's title? You Cannoli Die Once.

      Delete
  2. Cheat away, who threw the matches?? Yep, that's a good cheat ;)
    Hope you can finish reading and reviewsing soon.

    Here's my BB and Friday 56 ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't figure anyone would be complaining about my cheat. :)

      Delete
  3. Great cheat! And congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I will love the income, but miss the time I've been able to spend in the blogging community and just reading in general.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new job! I love the beginning and the 56 (even if it was cheating a little). I hadn't come across this series before but I'm definitely going to have to give this a try. Food, mystery and humor sound like a great mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be reading more food themed cozies than every before. They are just what is catching my eyes these days.

      Delete
  5. I love the title of the book, can't help but think of Basic Instinct > _ < I'm curious if the book a cooking book read with humor, or an actual novel; I'll be looking this book up for sure!

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mystery set around a family that owns and runs an Italian restaurant. There is a recipe in the back, but it's mostly the story.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the new job, wishing you the best.
    This sounds like a mystery for me... I love Italian so much I married one.. LOL

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely sounds like the mystery for you.

      And thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.