Thursday, July 21, 2016

Ornament Review: The Big Bang Theory - 2016 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 1 out of 5
Pros: It hangs straight
Cons: Execution is every detail ruined what could have been a good ornament
The Bottom Line:
A good idea
Horrible execution
Easy to skip it




I’m Still Waiting for the Bazinga!

I freely admit I am one of the millions who loves The Big Bang Theory.  Heck, it’s the only show I have my DVR set to record reruns, and I religiously watch them.  I’ll even turn on TBS’s marathons and watch them if I have nothing else to do.  Yet I will not be buying this year’s Hallmark ornament based on the show.

The idea behind the ornament is great.  The shape is based on the atom spinning logo that the show has made famous.  That gives us six sides.  One of them has the full logo for the show while the other five have portraits of the five original characters, Leonard, Penny, Sheldon, Raj, and Howard.

The problem is in the execution.  The people themselves look very poorly done.  Sheldon and Raj almost look like themselves if you squint, but Penny especially looks very cartoony.  It’s like someone created them in clay and they were squished a bit.  I know that an ornament will never capture a person exactly, but this is beyond artistic license.

But wait, it gets betters (and by better, I mean worse).  This is a magic ornament, and if you press the button by Raj’s head, you’ll get to hear the theme song from the show.  Only it isn’t the theme song as performed by Barenaked Ladies.  No, they must have wanted too much for Hallmark to license the song, so instead we get someone covering it.  Whoever did it gives the song just a hint of country flavor.  It’s not bad, but it makes it obvious it is a cover.  And then there is the fact that they get the lyrics wrong.  It’s “billions,” not “millions” as they sing here.

The ornament is wide, although I’d be hard pressed to set this out to display because I’m not sure it would stand up for very long.  Instead if I were to buy it, I’d definitely want to hang this ornament, and fortunately, the ornament does hang straight.  See, I did find something nice to say about it.

But that’s all there is nice to say about it.  The idea could have made for a hot seller, but the execution completely ruined this ornament.  This Big Bang Theory fan will stick with last year’s Sheldon Cooper ornament instead.

Original Price: $19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.