Friday, February 17, 2017

February 17th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

It is once again time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'm still going with a mystery, but it's a middle grade mystery - Terror on Kamikaze Run by Sigmund Brouwer.


                                                  

This is actually a reread for me, and the book is a lot of fun, as you can tell from the opening paragraph.
There is nothing funny - no matter what Lisa Higgins says - about answering the doorbell with a gray wig twisted sideways on your head and a red dress over your blue jeans and T-shirt.  Nothing funny at all.  Especially when your lipstick is smeared.

But the book also has some suspense, as you can tell from the final paragraph of page 56.

A faraway scream reached my ears.  I realized it was mine, and that the scream seemed so far away because already the wind pulling it from my throat was the wind caused by going far faster than any human body was designed to go.

I'll be reviewing the book on Sunday, so I hope you'll stop by and see what I thought.  In the meantime, enjoy your weekend.

10 comments:

  1. This looks like it might be a fun series to introduce to my son! Thanks for sharing, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good. I like middle grade mysteries for my students. I don't think there are enough of them. My YA pick this week is The Wish Granter by C. J. Redwine - a fairy tale retelling. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The opening was definitely hilarious. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “RIGHT BEHIND YOU”


    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great opening! Sounds like a very fun series, and one I've never heard of - thanks for the introduction. My BB is from The Sleepwalker by Chris Bohjalian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing funny? Then why did I laugh?! :-D Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm super curious after that beginning! This sounds like a fun read (or reread!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.