Friday, April 21, 2023

April 21st's Friday Post

Time for a Friday post, where I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

My teasers for the first three will come from Murder in Midtown by Liz Freeland.


This is the second Louise Faulk Mystery.  As you might guess from the cover, it's a historical mystery.  Specifically, it is set in New York City in 1913.  And here's how the book begins:

My forehead broke out in a dewy film of panic.

Nothing like starting a book with panic, right?

At 56% into the ebook, Louise has joined a lawyer to talk to someone that the police have in custody for the crime that Louise is trying to help solve.  That makes it a little hard to find a good teaser without including a spoiler, but I think this will work:

[The lawyer]’s lips flattened into a grim line. “Well, I have plenty to say, and the first and most important thing is that you should talk as little as possible to the police.”
“What am I to do if they ask me questions? I have nothing to hide.” He hung his head. “Not anymore.”
“From what I’ve heard, you’ve already given them enough information to send you to the electric chair.”

So, is this character guilty?  How can Louise keep them from the death penalty?

I enjoyed this book.  Now to get my review written since I am planning to review it next Wednesday.  I am having such a hard time getting reviews written right now, but that's a discussion for another time.

Meanwhile, let's jump on the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Have you ever read with a book light?

I have, but it's been a lot of years.  I had one as a kid that I used.  But I live alone, so if I want to read, I just turn on the light and read.  I do have a newer, small one in case I need it while traveling or something like that.

Have a good weekend!

13 comments:

  1. I really like that cover design. Thanks for sharing and have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books set in NYC, although I don't read a lot of historical stuff. Hope you love it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first line today is from Dawn’s Untrodden Green by Carolyn Miller:
    Wooler Northumberland 1812
    Stapleton Court of Wooler had, in its day, oft been described as a monument to quiet pretention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sold on the cover and setting. I'm off to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cover. I really need to read more historical mysteries. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't schedule my reviews but I do have trouble writing all the reviews for the books I read and often they pile up. Sigh. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both quotes. The 56 seems like it could present some issues for the characters later on. This looks like a good mystery. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book looks really interesting! I don't use my book light much any more at all, and I'm not even quite sure where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does sound intriguing. Glad you enjoyed it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a tough time finding a spoiler-free excerpt for Friday 56 today...and that's only from page 56 in the physical book! I'm having a tough time getting any blog post published, much less my reviews. I'm often writing them the day before or the day I publish them (like today's). I like to read in low lighting, so even when I'm alone and it's dark outside, I use the book light instead of the overhead lights, which are very bright! The dimmer floor lamp and table lamp had to be moved because the cats were attacking it. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this one on my wishlist. I love books set in NYC. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds good and weirdly I know someone named Louise Faulk! I don't use a booklight either. I was never good at getting them set up right and now I can either turn on the light or use my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm currently reading Tunnel Creek Ambush by Kerry Johnson and the first line is: "Kinsley Miller crept toward Whisper Mountain Tunnel, a prickling sensation climbing the back of her neck." I hope you have a good rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.