Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Movie Review: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Some genuine laughs from a talented cast
Cons: Feels like it is trying too hard; cuts out many songs from the stage version
The Bottom Line:
Farce plus musical
Doesn’t quite deliver fun
Feels like should be more



Looking for a Comedy Tonight?  You’ve Come to the Right Place

I’ve long heard of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  It’s always been on my “I’ll watch it someday list,” but when TCM movies decided to air it, I figured that was a great chance to catch the film.

As you might have suspected from the title, this musical takes place in ancient Rome.  We are introduced to Pseudolous (Zero Mostel) a slave who is constantly in trouble for trying to run away.  However, he gets a chance to earn his freedom when his master’s son, Hero (Michael Crawford) falls in love with a beautiful Virgin he sees in the window of the brothel next door.  Unfortunately, this woman (Annette Andre) has been sold to another man who is on his way there in just a couple of hours to claim her.  Can Pseudolous figure out a way to get her for his master and win his freedom?

This movie is really something you don’t see very often, a farce and a musical.  Now, I enjoy a good farce, so when I realized what this movie was, I was hoping I was in for a treat.  Instead, I found the movie uneven.  At times, I was laughing at some of the lines and the events as they unfolded.  At others, however, I felt like the movie was trying too hard.  A perfect example of this is the chariot chase scene at the end.  I’m sure it was added for the movie, but it doesn’t quite work.

I was actually surprised at how few songs there are in the movie.  Apparently, afraid that audience were tiring of big screen musicals, the studio demanded most of the songs from the Broadway show be cut.  I know, right?  The movie clocks in at just under 1 hour 40 minutes as a result.  Since the music was written by Stephen Sondheim, I would love to hear more of it here.

The cast certainly does well with what they have to work with.  In case you are wondering, yes, this is THAT Michael Crawford in the very supporting role of Hero here.  Comedy legends Bustor Keaton and Phil Silvers are also in the cast.

Since part of the plot revolves around the brothel and the goings on there, I’m sure you won’t be surprised to learn part of my problem involved some humor that I didn’t appreciate.  I’m sure it was quite risqué for 1966, but even though it is tame by today’s standards, I could have done without it.

Still, I’m actually very curious to see the stage production.  I have a feeling the story will flow better with all the songs included.  And I’ve often found that farces in particular and comedies in general don’t translate well from the stage to the screen.  I think I might like it better if I can see it on stage sometime.

I’m not sure if my expectations were too high or if the movie missed the mark that much.  Maybe both.  A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t as good as I hoped it would be either.  I know the movie has its fans, and I can see why, but I don’t think I’ll be watching this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.