Friday, April 28, 2023

Novella Review: Arbor Day Can Be Deadly by Ryan Rivers (Bucket List Mysteries #0.5)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Good characters, mystery, laughs
Cons: Setting up premise creates an uneven pace
The Bottom Line:
Characters meet here
Fun setting up a series
In shorter story



It All Started on Arbor Day

Normally, I’m a strict read in order person. However, I’ve been reading the Bucket List Mysteries in fairly random order, saving Arbor Day Can Be Deadly, the prequel novella, to read around Arbor Day. 

If you haven’t started the series yet, this is definitely the place to start since it introduces us to our protagonists and sets the premise of the series up. 

Sho Tanaka is on leave from his job as a nurse at a Seattle hospital. With time on his hands, he sets out to visit his sister, who has opened a fusion diner in Bluebonnet Hills, Texas. He’s arrived just in time for the town’s annual Arbor Day festivities. As he’s wandering around, he sees some things that make him question what is really going on in this town. But he’s also in the wrong place and wrong time when a confrontation between the acting mayor and the chief of police turns violent. 

Sho is rescued by a bystander who turns out to be Levi Blue, former teen actor and star of the series Tween of the Crime. Levi is in town to check up on his fan museum that he is having built to house his memorabilia, and he drags Sho into figuring out what is going on with it. What will the two uncover about the town?

Since this is a prequel novella but not the first story I’ve read with these characters, I already knew much of the backstory presented here. Even if I hadn’t, I would have found the story a little slow with set up. Don’t get me wrong it was entertaining, but it was a while before the mystery really got started. Think of this as the pilot episode of a tv show – it’s main focus is on introducing you to the characters and set up. This book does that well. 

Because these characters are fun, and this is a charming setting. I enjoyed seeing Sho meet everyone for the first time. The hints of the stories to come are here. 

And this isn’t to say that the mystery was poor. In fact, I got caught up in it, trying to figure out exactly what Sho and Levi were going to uncover. I do think the plot tries to do a little too much with the space it has to work with, but that’s a minor complaint. Things do reach a logical and satisfying climax. 

This is a humorous story, and I laughed multiple times, usually at Levi and his antics. Yet the characters are dealing with some serious issues. It’s an interesting balancing act, and I appreciate how the author balances things. 

As I’ve said, this is a novella. Personally, I find that a little bit of a vague term since they can still vary in length so much. In this case, it was about two-thirds the length of a regular novel, or at least the novels I read. 

If you are remotely interested in this series, the author gives this story away as an ebook to the subscribers of his newsletter. That’s how I got it. So go by his website and sign up today

I’m now up to date on the releases so far, and I’m looking forward to Sho and Levi’s next adventure. If you want to find a new, fun series, check out Arbor Day Can Be Deadly today. 

3 comments:

  1. This does look fun despite the pacing issue and this is a series I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the free novella too and have waited. Arbor Day is passed, so I'd better get on it. (A frank question, is there any hints of LGBQ etc?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.