Monday, November 15, 2021

Ornament Review: Battleship - 2021 Hallmark Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great details on these two Battleship themed ornaments
Cons: They do tip forward when hung
The Bottom Line:
Two ornament set
Perfectly captures this game
Brings nostalgic smiles



You’ll Want to Get These Ornaments B4 They are Gone or You Will Be Sunk

I love the Family Game Night ornament series because of the happy memories they bring back of playing games as a kid.  Hallmark clearly isn’t afraid of running out of games any time soon since they are releasing unofficial companion pieces to the series most years, and I am getting many of them as well.  This year’s additional ornament is actually a set of two to capture the fun of Battleship.

It makes sense this would be a two-ornament set.  Each ornament represents one of the game boards you would use to play the game.  Honestly, I can’t remember what colors we had as a kid (it’s been a very long time since I played the game), but here, the two ornaments are red and blue.  Inside, they look similar.  The gray ships are on the grid on the horizontal surface and there are pins sticking out of the grid on the vertical surface, representing the guesses that have been made.  The white and red pegs are over on the side.  And there is one peg on the top of each game board, representing the number of ships each person has sunk.

You’ll notice I said these ornaments were similar.  Clearly, we’ve caught two people in the middle of a game, and they are playing each other.  If you look closely, you’ll see the red pegs in one piece correspond to the ships on the other piece’s grid.  No, I’m not surprised by that attention to detail, but it is that attention to detail that I love.

And I do love this set.  Okay, so I was never the biggest fan of Battleship (probably one reason why I haven’t played it in years or own it as an adult), but this set still brings a smile to my face.  It’s a great way to remember the game.  If Battleship was a favorite game, I can only imagine how much more you will like this set.

The ring for hanging the ornaments is in the top middle of the raised cover.  This does mean the ornaments tip forward a little when you go to hang them, but it really is the best place for the loop to be on the ornament.  A well-placed tree branch or hanging the ornaments back-to-back would help with this.  In fact, if you line up the rings right, you can slip one ornament hanger through both and get them to hang straight.

The bottoms of the ornaments are nice and flat, so it would be very easy to display these are part of a scene if you so choose.

My only decision now is whether to hang these next to each other or away from each other on my tree.  Either way, I’m glad to add these Battleship ornaments to my collection.

Do check out the rest of the Family Game Night ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.