Sunday, September 11, 2022

September 11th's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to the Sunday/Monday post for this weekend.  I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

21 years.  I had been thinking about September 11th off and on, but it hit me again as I typed the title of this post.  In some ways, it is hard to believe it has been 21 years, but in other ways, it's hard to believe it has only been 21 years.  I don't intend to go into any more than that about the day, but I did feel the need to acknowledge it.

I did not work today!  After 19 days without a day off (yes, I worked all day Labor Day), I finally got a day off.  And I'm not planning to work tomorrow, either.

Which is a good thing since I've got a lot of stuff to do around the condo.  But instead of doing any of that, I've been off having fun.  Last night, I went to play some mini-field ultimate Frisbee.  Today, I went paddle boarding and played games with friends.  Tomorrow, after I do the PowerPoint at church in the morning, I need to come home and tackle my to do list around the condo.  Things like cleaning up my spare room and cleaning the condo in general.  Plus reading, or course.

We've been having some weird weather, at least for Southern California.  In the middle of our heat wave, we've gotten some rain.  It absolutely poured last Sunday - for about half a hour.  And we got a little thunder and lightening, too.  But in that half hour of rain, we got 0.6 inches of rain.  For So Cal in summer, that's a lot.

The heat has finally broken, but it's humid, which is rare for us.  It was actually raining lightly (hear we got another quarter inch) when I went to play ultimate Frisbee last night.  I'm glad I didn't let that scare me away from playing because I had fun.  My bigger concern was that there would be enough people there to play, but that wasn't an issue.  And it was fun to play in the warm rain.  We so rarely get warm rain here.

I almost let threat of rain and thunder storms keep me from paddle boarding this morning.  But the forecast had changed when I got up this morning, so I left at the very last minute.  It was so much fun!  There was hardly any wind, which is rare.  The surface of the water was glassy at points.  Still humid, but so much cooler than it has been.


It was a low attendance game day at my friend's today, but I still had fun.  And yes, we played three more new to me games.  They have a lot of games.  At some point, we will wind up repeating, I'm sure.

This Past Week on the Blog:


This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Disney Pin Review: Mad Tea Party - Mickey Mouse the Main Attraction
Monday - TV Show Review: Quantum Leap - Season 2
Tuesday - Book Review: Murder at Keyhaven Castle by Clara McKennna
Wednesday - Ornament Review: Spotlight on Snoopy 25th Anniversary
Thursday - Book Review: Buttercream Betrayal by Kim Davis
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

Remember how happy I was with myself for only getting two books last week?  Good times.  This week, I wound up with four books.


In my defense, two of them were free to me.  I went to Netgalley and snagged a copy of A Streetcar Named Murder by T. G. Herren.  It sounds like fun, and the New Orleans setting appeals to me.

Today, I noticed that Inheriting Murder by Jamie Rutland Gillespie was free on Kindle.  It had recently crossed my radar, and I can't turn down a Kindle freebee of something I'm interested in.  Plus, with it being a Kindle book, it's not taking up any room in my condo.

The next book was also a Kindle book, and it was on sale.  I read the first in Catherine Bruns's Italian Chef mystery a couple years back and always meant to go back and read more.  So when I spotted the second, It Cannoli be Murder, on sale, I snagged it.

Yes, the final book is a physical book.  My pre-order of Spy School Project X by Stuart Gibbs arrived.  Yes, it's a middle grade book, and if you haven't read this series, you are really missing out.  Fast paced with laugh out loud funny parts.

What I'm Currently Reading:

As I'm typing this on Saturday night, I have 10 pages into Seams Like Murder by Dorothy Howell.  If you are wondering why I am only 10 pages in, go back and take another look at what I've gone in the last 27 or so hours.  Hoping I can make some progress in it in the next 24 hours since I had hoped to finish it up on Monday, but we will see what happens.  It's certainly not because I'm not enjoying the book.  It's off to a fast and fun start.

That's it for me this week.  Hope you have a good one.

26 comments:

  1. I am so glad you get some time off! Nineteen days is a long time to go without a break. I am also glad you have been doing some fun things with your free time. It's been well earned!

    Friday was a heavy rain day for my part of Southern California, along with some strong winds. There was a little rain this morning, but not much. I'll take any we can get.

    September 11 has a double meaning for me. The obvious reason, of course, but it is also the anniversary of my dad's death. Now eleven years ago.

    Your new books all look good! I have heard good things about Spy School X. I hope you enjoy your reading and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paddle boarding when the water is so calm sounds so relaxing. And I wish humidity was rare here! we get it quite a bit in the summer. Hopefully yours is short lived.

    Have a great Sunday! Glad tohear Death in the Aegean was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowzers.....19 days w/o a day off???? No thanks. I think I'd be looking for something else. We all need a work/life balance. But it sounds like you maximized your couple days off with doing things you love. We're big game players at our house too and one of our fave things to do is sit out on the deck with a drink and a game or two and (very competitively) play the afternoon away.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so glad you finally had a day off! The paddle boarding setting is so tranquil. Enjoy all your new books and have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness! Working nineteen days in a row? That's not a healthy track to be on. I'm glad you have finally been able to take some time off and that you have been able to spend that time doing lots of things you love.

    Four books isn't so bad, especially considering two were free and only one was a hardcopy. Seams Like Murder looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paddle boarding sounds like fun. I never mastered wind surfing, and eventually gave up. I don't have the strength to do it. I've been reading about the weird weather in southern California.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your weather has been off for California. I'm glad you finally got some time off! Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great that you are finally have a couple of days off. You deserve them. Enjoy! Thank you for letting us know Inheriting Murder was free today. It was on my wishlist so I just went over to Amazon to get it. I have Seams Like Murder to read, too. Looks good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for days off and a break from the humidity. Nice book haul. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you got some well deserved time off. And some rain and humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weather has been so strange for So Cal! We only got about .25" of rain up here in SB, but it's been humid. Ew. It's great you have a couple days off... finally. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These all look fun books. I hope you enjoy them this week.
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/09/11/sunday-post-66-09-11-2022/

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you are making the most of your time off

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  14. So good to hear you got outside and inside for some fun activities, after that many days working you deserve it all. Happy reading and Condo care coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brave of you. Paddle boarding during a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been buying/acquiring fewer books lately. I'm not sure why, but I do hope to finally read some of the books that are languishing on my shelves!

    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for time off! Looks like you filled it well. I added a huge number of books to my stack this week. So many deals I couldn't pass up even when I have no idea when I'll get a chance to read my new additions. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was some well deserved time off. Enjoy your books, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There will always be stuff to do at the condo, but not always a chance for mini-field ultimate Frisbee. I'm glad you had a fun time.

    I can't pass up Kindle freebies either. I wish I read more of them. Inheriting Murder sounds great. Hope you enjoy your books.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was a freshman in college when September 11th happened. I will never forget every minute of that day, as long as I live.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Being Canadian, 9/11 came and went without me noticing. Like others before me have said, I'm so glad you got some time off. I hope you can find more balance and more reading time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you got a day off and the paddle boarding looks wonderful. It's so crazy that it's been 21 years since 9/11. I was in college then and I remember listening to the 2nd tower fall on the way to class. I hope you are having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad you got a couple of days off -- to be busy with life things. I'm also glad you had fun with your friends. I love unusual cloud formations - nice photo. I like the looks of A Streetcar Named Murder. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enjoy your books...I like the title A STREETCAR NAMED MURDER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Elizabeth @Silver's Reviews...not sure why it came up anonymous.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.