Friday, September 2, 2022

September 2nd's Friday Post

 Welcome to Friday!  Even better, a holiday weekend Friday here in the states.  Let's kick things off with a Friday Post, where I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

This week, I will be featuring Death in the Aegean by M. A. Monnin for the first three.  Every time I talk about this book, I talk about how gorgeous the cover is.  But it is truly wonderful, isn't it?


Let's get to the book itself.  Here's how it begins:

Great.  Just great.
Stefanie Adams frowned at the gray dots circling endlessly on her phone's map, knowing only that she was somewhere between the Fira Archeological Museum and her hotel.

When I first looked at page 56, I wasn't sure I was going to find a good teaser.  But when I looked at it again today, I found this:

All she could do was show the police she was cooperating fully.  Which she'd do the next time they questioned her.  Hopefully, that wouldn't happen.

Obviously, this is a travel themed mystery set in Greece.  I really enjoyed it, and I'll be reviewing it Thursday of next week.  I hope you come back then to read my review.

In the meantime, let's look at this week's question for the Book Blogger Hop:

 Is it difficult to find new books in local bookstores?

My only local new bookstore is Barnes and Nobel.  I'll admit, I don't go in there that often, usually ordering on line.  But when I do, I tend to be looking for something in particular.  I rarely browse.  Still, I 'll see some displays of new books.  Yes, these are the best sellers, but it's not hard to find them.  I suspect if I went in looking for something in particular that was new but less popular, I'd have a harder time finding it.

Have a good one.

19 comments:

  1. I wish there was a Barnes & Noble nearby. The one in the city closed down last year. I was disappointed by the store's closure because I regularly visited it during my teen years in the mid-1990s. On weekends, my parents and I would go to the AMC theater. Normally, we would all watch different movies. Then we'd go to Barnes & Nobles, which was right next to the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those drawn covers of beautiful locations, it makes me feel like I'm going on a holiday! And that's quite an F56 teaser right there! I also tend to either go to a bookstore with something specific in mind or to a second hand one with a budget in mind xD Have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great cover! I love the blue.

    I don't tend to browse, mainly because my 4 year old won't allow it 🤣

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/02/book-blogger-hop-is-it-difficult-to-find-new-books-in-local-bookstores/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is pretty, and the story seems interesting too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is a gorgeous cover! It sounds good too. Both snippets pulled me in. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely buy books at B&N. They never have the books I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first line this week is from The Bride of Blackfriars Lane by Michelle Griep:
    London 1885
    September afternoons were meant for soft whispers and stolen kisses, not ash and soot and the gangrenous eye of a ruthless taskmaster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate it when GPS doesn't cooperate. Lost in Greece would even be worse because we can't read their alphabet. Sigh. My book is The Grapes of Wrath

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good one. The only bookstore near me is B&N, but I rarely go in there. I'm primarily and e-reader, so everything I get is online these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover! Enjoy and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't go into bookstores often anymore. I was at our local mall earlier today and I was surprised to see they had put a B&N in there! It was small stuffed with books and very little browsing room, so I didn't go in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a B&N too.The smaller bookshops are disappearing. https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2022/09/02/bookbloggerhop/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like the makings of a good mystery! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm currently reading Sit, Stay, Love by Dana Mentink. It's super cute!
    "Gina was surprised at the size of the ranch."
    Have a great weekend! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a gorgeous cover for sure - and the first line definitely has me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful book cover! Enjoy your long weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That book cover is definitely eye-catching! Sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    Our favorite local bookstore closed. Sadness. So we don't go brick-and-mortar book shopping that often. It's like you said - probably harder to find something new that isn't on a bestseller list. Although Books-A-Million (when we go - the closest is about an hour away) seems to do a pretty good job of having new books in different genres.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Aegean - cool!

    I'm reading another book by Karen Witemeyer: Full Steam Ahead. The first line is: "Passengers jockeyed for position along the steamboat Louisiana's railings, waving and calling merry farewells to the crowd lining the levee."

    Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous cover! And this sounds like a good read. Barnes and Noble is pretty much our only local bookstore that carries new books and it's not one I go into very often.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.