Friday, September 16, 2022

September 16th's Friday Post

Welcome to Friday!  We made it!!!  It's time for another Friday post, where I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

This week, for the first three, I will be featuring Under Lock and Skeleton Key by Gigi Pandian.

This is the first in a new series from here, and it really is a lot of fun.  Here's how the book begins:

Tempest Raj tested the smooth, hardwood floor once more.  Following the floorboards from the beaten-up steamer trunk with three false bottoms to the window letting in moonlight, she didn't hear a squeak anywhere.  Good.

Jumping head to page 56 we find this:

This isn't the family curse, Tempest told herself as she backed away from [the] body.

Yes, the book actually identifies the corpse, but I'm going to keep that redacted.  You'll have to read the book to find out who the victim is.  Overall, I enjoyed this one.  I'll be reviewing it Monday, so I hope you'll come back and see what I thought.

Let's turn to this week's Book Blogger Hop.  Our question is:

What are your favorite characteristics of a main character?

That's a good question.  I definitely prefer someone who is smart.  While we all make mistakes, that's different from just being stupid.  I also love spending time with characters who are friendly and have great relationships with their family and/or friends.  Obviously, there are exceptions to every one of these.  Basically, someone I'd want as a friend is someone I want to read about.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

13 comments:

  1. I've been hearing more about Under Lock & Skeleton Key lately. It seems like a good mystery. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book sounds good. I don't mind if we are told who the victim is - as long as the journey is interesting 😂

    I like a friendly character too.

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/16/book-blogger-hop-what-are-your-favourite-characteristics-of-a-main-character/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of this one before. I hope you enjoy it! Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about Under Lock and Skeleton Key. I like your character trait "someone I'd want as a friend is someone I want to read about". That's who I like to read about too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed Under Lock & Skeleton Key and have the second one waiting on my NetGalley shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading The Belle of Belgrave Square by Mimi Matthews.
    "Julia sat immobile on the silk damask-cushioned bench in front of her carved walnut dressing table as her lady's maid, Mary, put the final touches on her evening coiffure."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first line comes from Chapter 1 of A Gem of Truth by KimberleyWoodhouse :
    April 1907 Hotel Casraneda Las Vegas, New Mexico
    Some days were not predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this one though I'm hoping the next one will be a bit more streamlined. I definitely agree with a smart main characters - especially in cozy mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing inner strength in main characters. I'm currently reading Dangerous Beauty by Melissa Koslin and the first line is: "She ran." -- Hope you have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely agreeing on you with a smart character - competence is a wonderful thing and I get so frustrated when it's lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like characters that you can be friends with.
    My post: https://snapdragon0blog.wordpress.com/2022/09/16/friday-post-what-are-your-favorite-characteristics-of-a-main-character/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.