Friday, November 4, 2022

Novella Review: Christmas Cocoa and a Corpse by Maddie Day (Country Store Mysteries #6.5)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun characters and mystery
Cons: None for me
The Bottom Line:
Spilled hot chocolate
A festive Christmas story
Short but lots of fun



Murder Leaves Behind Spilled Cocoa

When the novella anthology Christmas Cocoa Murder came out, I snagged a copy to find out what was happening with Robbie Jordan, the protagonist in Maddie Day’s Country Store mysteries.  Her story was contained in “Christmas Cocoa and a Corpse,” and it was fun.

It’s the week before Christmas, and business is booming at Robbie’s restaurant, Pans ‘N Pancakes.  However, not everyone is in a festive mood.  Local businessman Jed Greenburg is found dead on the sidewalk while he was out walking a Chocolate lab puppy, the spilled contents of a mug of Robbie’s special hot chocolate blend next to him.  What happened?

It’s no surprise to me that I enjoyed this novella.  Several of the series regulars are away for the holiday, which actually works out very well since this is a novella.  We are able to focus on the characters important to mystery.  Robbie’s boyfriend’s family are actually key to the events as they unfold, and it was great to get to know them a little better.  The mystery was strong, and I enjoyed watching it unfold.  As always, the scenes in the restaurant made my mouth water, and I am now craving breakfast foods.

There’s also plenty of Christmas cheer to be had here, even around the murder.  If this novella leaves you as hungry as it did me, you’ll be anxious to try the hot chocolate recipe as well as another couple festive recipes.

As a novella, this story is around 100 pages.  Perfect for slipping in during December, right?

If you’ve already read the Christmas Cocoa Murder anthology, there is no reason to get this novella.  But if you’ve missed “Christmas Cocoa and a Corpse,” you’ll be glad you picked up this novella.

Enjoy more of Robbie's adventures with the rest of the Country Store Mysteries.

1 comment:

  1. Another series that I want to read but haven't yet (but own quite a number of books in the series!). Now I want to do a binge of cozy Christmas novellas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.