Friday, November 25, 2022

Novella Review: Logged On by Barbara Ross (Maine Clambake Mysteries #6.5)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great mystery and characters
Cons: No cons to log
The Bottom Line:
Trying to bake cake
Is Julia in danger?
Fun, festive story



Does Julia Have a Suspicious Neighbor?

I love spending time with Julia Snowden from the Maine Clambake Mysteries for whatever length of time I can.  So when she has novellas popping up in various collections, I jump at a chance to read them.  That’s how I originally read Logged On.

This Christmas, Julia has become obsessed with creating a perfect Yule Log cake to impress her boyfriend's family when they come for Christmas, but her efforts aren't turning out well.  She is so desperate that she goes to a neighbor, Mrs. St. Onge, since her cakes were legendary.  Mrs. St. Onge is an older lady, but as Julia begins to spend more time with her, Julia begins to wonder about the many people from Mrs. St. Onge’s past and present who seem to disappear from her life around the holidays.  Is Julia in any danger herself?

The mystery on this one really drew me in.  It is on the shorter size for a novella, but it had me turning pages quickly to find out if my suspicion on what was happening was true or not.  As always, the characters are wonderful.  We only see quick glimpses of some of the regulars, but they are still charming.  And the new characters are great.

It’s no surprise to series fans that a recipe for Yule Log cake is included.  It sounds good, but a lot of work.

This novella was originally part of the Yule Log Murder novella collection.  If you have that book, there’s no need to read this one.  If you’ve missed that one, then now’s the time for a Christmas escape.  At just under 100 pages, you’ll have it read in no time.

Whether you are new to the Maine Clambake series or a fan, you’ll enjoy the Logged On Christmas novella.

Check out the rest of the Maine Clambake Mysteries.

3 comments:

  1. Another wonderful review, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been brave enough to attempt a Yule Log cake - or any kind of cake that involves rolling with layers of frosting! I read one book in this series and really enjoyed it but for some reason I never continued with it. Thanks for the reminder to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.