Monday, January 23, 2023

Movie Review: Signed, Sealed, Delivered - From Paris with Love

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Another great movie with characters we love
Cons: The character of Holly didn’t work for me
The Bottom Line:
Divorce papers and
Oliver’s long-lost wife are
Set up for this film




“It Is Hard to Ignore a Confident Man with a Broom.”  “What Do I Do?”  “You Get a Better Broom.”

Somehow, I let six months go without watching the next movie in the Signed, Sealed, Delivered series.  When I realized this a couple weeks ago, my desire to see what happened next to the characters was so strong, I sat down that night to watch From Paris with Love.

It’s been a few months since we last checked in on the POstables – Oliver, Shane, Rita, and Norman (Eric Mabius, Kristin Booth, Yan-Kay Chrystal Lowe, and Geoff Gustafon).  Not much has changed in their relationships, however, and they are still working together as a great team working for the post office in Denver dealing with letters that haven’t been delivered for whatever reason.

However, things start to change when the gang gets a package that hasn’t been delivered for two years – someone mailing divorce papers to his wife.  When Shane discovers the letter that Oliver sent to his estranged wife in Paris several months ago has landed in their office.  Meanwhile, Rita seems to be infatuated with Ramon (Zak Santiago), much to Norman’s dismay.  Will they track down the couple with the divorce papers?  What will happen with Oliver’s letter?

Oliver’s wife having abandoned him was set up the very first time we met these characters, and I’ve been looking forward to this movie to find out exactly what happened there.  Well, I knew how it would end.  It helps that there are ten more movies with these characters, and I might have read some plot teasers about what is coming for them.  But even if I hadn’t done that, it still was very easy to figure out thanks to this being a Hallmark movie.

Having said that, I still got caught up in the story.  The letter the gang is working on is really a sub-plot in the midst of what is really happening with our main characters.  But, since I love these characters, I’m really not complaining.  And with the three storylines, there was plenty to keep my attention.

I’ve got to say, my biggest disappointment with this movie was Oliver’s wife, Holly.  Now, don’t misunderstand, that’s not a complaint with the actress, Poppy Montgomery, who I’ve seen in other things and enjoyed.  I just felt like how she was written didn’t quite work.  Or maybe I was just prepared to hate her since we are rooting for Oliver and Shane to get together and I wouldn’t have given the character a chance no matter how she was written.

But that’s my only complaint with the film.  I went through the usual as I watched.  I laughed.  I teared up, and I wondered exactly how things were going to wrap up for the characters.  In the end, I was very happy with the movie.

At this point, the four leads know their characters, and they are perfect at bringing them to life.  Yes, this is a Hallmark movie and definitely not for everyone, but I’m hard pressed to find any of the Hallmark cheese I usually reference here.

If you jump into the franchise here, you might not appreciate From Paris with Love.  But if you already love the characters in the Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies, you’ll love watching them in action here.

This movie is included the Signed, Sealed, Delivered Movie Collection: Movies 1-4.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've watched this. Nice review, Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is the only movie in this series I haven't watched. Too bad about Holly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.