Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Movie Review: Another Thin Man (Thin Man Films #3)

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Good humor and a great mystery
Cons: A bit of aged acting
The Bottom Line:
An older movie
But still entertaining now
So sit back, enjoy




"What're You Hunting For?" "I Thought I Know; Now I'll Take Anything I Can Find."

While I had heard of Dashiell Hammett's married sleuths Nick and Nora Charles, I wasn't that familiar with them until I started watching the Thin Man films this year. And I didn't know what I was missing. Another Thin Man is the third film in the series and is a good example. We've got a good mystery surrounded with plenty of comedy.

Nick and Nora (William Powell and Myrna Loy) are back in New York with their almost one year old son. They haven't even had a chance to unpack when they are invited, summoned really, to the Long Island estate of Colonel MacFay (C. Aubrey Smith). MacFay was the partner of Nora's late father and still manages her estate.

When they arrive, they discover that MacFay is convinced he is about to be murdered. He's been receiving threats from Phil Church (Sheldon Leonard), an ex employee who blames MacFay for the decade he spent in jail. With all kinds of weird things happening around the estate, Nick is inclined to take the threat seriously. Unfortunately, the colonel is indeed killed, and Phil vanishes. Did he do it? What's really going on?

Since this film was released in 1939, there are some dated elements. It shouldn't be a surprise to say that the film is in black and white. Personally, that bothered me for about two seconds. Then I got drawn right back into these character's lives and I forgot all about that. There are a few dated relationships, but really, there's nothing that will offend today's audience. Granted, it helps that all our characters are white.

This is probably the strongest mystery of the series so far. I had no clue what was going on until the very end. Yet all the clues were there. I was able to piece them together seconds before Nick explained everything to us. While all the suspects were in the room at the time, this was based on coincidence and not because Nick called or tricked them all to showing up. It was nice to get past that cliche.

For me, the last film was ruined by the fact that I had a hard time telling the cast apart. That wasn't the case here. The characters looked different enough and were well enough written that I followed everything with ease.

And the acting was great, too. William Powell and Myrna Loy have amazing chemistry. Their banter is wonderful, yet you always believe that they are in love. While I often find that acting in older movies seems dated and stiff to me, it didn't bother me as much here even though it was still there. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.

And the humor just keeps on coming. I've mentioned Nick and Nora's banter already. Astra, their dog, provides some laughs again, as always. While baby Nickie doesn't have much to do, he gives us a couple laughs as well. You might not laugh the entire way through, but some of these lines are guaranteed to make you smile.

For me, this is the strongest movie in the series so far. I'm glad I got on this kick and look forward to seeing where Nick and Nora go after Another Thin Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.