Monday, April 8, 2013

Movie Review: A Christmas Story

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: The acting and look evoke the time
Cons: So many stories make the movie disjointed
The Bottom Line:
Nostalgic story
Appeal is lost on me
Need some history




Mildly Entertaining Christmas Stories

While there are many Christmas movies I grew up watching, A Christmas Story wasn't one of them. But I had heard so many people talk about it so fondly over the years, I knew I had to give it a try. I think thanks to those glowing comments, I was expecting too much from it, because I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

The story takes up back to 1940's Indiana. All Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) wants for Christmas is a Red Ryder BB Gun. He knows he needs to drop subtle hints to his parents (Darren McGavin and Melinda Dillon). But when his mother expresses concern that it might not be safe, he has to develop some back up plans.

Meanwhile, there is plenty else going on in the family. Ralphie has to face the neighborhood bully to defend his brother Randy (Ian Petrella). His father wins a hideous lamp. And Ralphie finally gets his Little Orphan Annie decoder. But through it all, Ralphie plots and schemes to get his BB gun. Will it be under the tree Christmas morning?

This movie is billed as a comedy, and there are some funny scenes. Most of the time, however, it is only mildly amusing.

The acting, however, is wonderful. The actors not only fit their parts, but they fit the time of the movie as well. The parents were the strict parents of the 1940's, but some heart definitely came through. Peter Billingsley carries much of the movie, and he does an outstanding job.

The movie looks great, too. I'll admit, I didn't guess the decade of the setting right away, but I could tell things were old. Once I figured out the right time, everything clicked into place. As with most movies, I'm sure there are a few liberties with historical accuracy, but they shouldn't bother most people.

Where the movie really falls apart is the story. It was based on a series of short stories, and it really shows. While Ralphie's quest to get a BB gun is the overarching story that holds everything together, there are lots of side trips. These multiple stories weave in and out of each other, much like real life. The result, however, was a movie that felt like it was wandering all over the place and had no real focus at all. As a result, I never could get into the story.

I'm sure if I had grown up with this film, I'd feel differently about it. It has a certain charm, and I can understand why so many people love it. However, A Christmas Story will not become one of my Christmas traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.