Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Movie Review: Hitch

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Fun (if predictable) story
Cons: Embarrassment humor at times
The Bottom Line:
A funny romance
At times embarrassing laughs
But mostly it's good




A Couple of Hitches in a Mostly Fun Comedy

I remember seeing ads for Hitch when it first came out and thinking it looked stupid and not my kind of humor. But a couple friends insisted I see the movie, so I reluctantly did. And I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed it.

Alex Hitchens, "Hitch" to his friends (Will Smith), has a wonderful job. He helps men get the women of their dreams by giving them dating tips and arranging situations where they can meet their current crushes. Dubbed the "Date Doctor," Hitch operates by word of mouth.

His latest client is Albert Brennaman (Kevin James), a nerdy accountant who is deeply in love with socialite Allegra Cole (Amber Valletta). Even though Albert is way out of Allegra's league, Hitch begins to work his magic.

Meanwhile, Hitch has met society columnist Sara Melas (Eva Mendes) and is doing his best to win her. Sara is a tough cookie to crack, however, because her job reporting the break ups of others has made her extremely cynical. Sara's pursuit of Allegra and Albert only makes things worse. Will anyone find true love?

To be honest, I thought the premise sounded sleazy. But I was quickly proved wrong as it is clear Hitch is working to help make women fall in love with his clients. In fact, I found the notion pretty sweet actually.

My other hang up was the humor. I'm not a fan of humor from embarrassing situations. And there is some of that here. But it wasn't as big a part of the movie as I expected it to be. It probably does explain why I found the movie funny and my friends found it laugh out loud funny.

This movie proves why predictable isn't necessarily a bad thing. While I never doubted the ending, I did wonder a few times how they would get there. And watching the characters work through those obstacles was pretty fun.

And fun really is the best word to describe this film. There is so much to enjoy here, from Hitch's smooth work at charming the ladies to Albert's absolute awkwardness. So many of those fun moments grew out of the characters, who were charming. It does take a little while to warm to Sara. At first I wondered what Hitch saw in her. But by the end I was rooting for her to be happy as well.

All this is only enhanced by the great acting. True, Will Smith as a ladies' man is hardly a surprise, but he is especially good at it here. Kevin James is a riot as the bumbling Albert Brennaman. He got the most laughs from me. Eva Mendes perfectly shows us her character's changes as the movie progresses. Amber Valletta is actually under utilized as Allegra Cole, but she is good in the scenes she does have. Julie Ann Emery has the thankless job of Sara's sidekick, but she really shines in that role.

Hitch is one of those rare romantic comedies that men and women seem to enjoy equally. It's a light film, but it never tries to be anything serious. So if you want something fun, this is the movie to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.