Saturday, April 13, 2013

Movie Review: Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great performances anchor a funny and touching movie
Cons: Won't be appreciated by everyone
The Bottom Line:
Mindless comedy
Aimed more at adults than young
And they will love it




Playing at Love

Some friends of mine hate the previews before a movie. In fact, they plan to arrive late just so they miss them. Me? I get quite upset if I think I will miss them. Granted, most of the time they don't interest me. But occasionally, I find a gem that I want to see. Such is the case with Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I'm quite glad I saw this trailer because I really enjoyed this film.

Miss Pettigrew (Frances McDormand) is the governess of last resort. No, that doesn't mean she turns naughty children around. In fact, she doesn't seem to be able to keep a job. Fired from her last job, she literally has nothing. And her employment agency is tired of trying to find her jobs. After all, jobs are scarce in 1930's London. Desperate, Miss Pettigrew takes the address of a client, a Delysia Lafoose (Amy Adams).

When Miss Pettigrew arrives at the address, she finds Delysia in crisis. While saving the day, Miss Pettigrew learns that Delysia isn't looking for a governess but a social secretary because they are fashionable.

But Delysia definitely needs help sorting out her life. She's a singer who wants to become an actress. But she's having huge man problems. Specifically, there are three men in her life. There's Phil (Tom Payne), who she has slept with to gain the lead in the play he is producing. There's Nick (Mark Strong), who owns the nightclub where Delysia sings every night as well as the apartment where Delysia lives. Then there's Michael (Lee Pace), a piano player who has proposed to Delysia and has spent the last year in prison waiting for an answer.

Miss Pettigrew is definitely out of her element, but she seems to be helping Delysia juggle everything. Can she keep up and guide Delysia at the same time?

So, let's get the obvious out of the way first. Yes, this is a predictable romantic comedy. I thought I knew the ultimate ending of this movie from the half way point. It was just a matter of waiting to see if I was correct.

Fortunately, the ride was quite enjoyable. The first half is quite amusing. Many of those in the audience with me were laughing out loud. I laughed a few times myself, but not quite as often as every else. Even so, I had a smile on my face the rest of the time. The story almost takes on a farcical tone at this point.

Once everything is set up, the movie takes on a more serious tone. The laughs are fewer as we wait to see how the characters' lives will turn out. This, the plot points come quickly and my interest never lagged. There are several touching moments as the movie builds to the ending.

The acting holds everything together. The entire cast is wonderful at balancing the comedy and the more emotional moments as the tone of the movie changes. Special praise goes to the two leads. Frances McDormand is delightful as the down on her luck, out of her element Miss Pettigrew. Her facial reactions alone provide some of the best laughs of the first half. Equally charming is Amy Adams. Delysia could have easily been a mindless fluffy character we don't care about. Yet Amy makes her sympathetic from the very beginning. Between the two, we truly care about the outcome.

While this is a mindless comedy, I think its appeal will skew slightly older. Even with the partial nudity double meanings, this movie will appeal most to adults and less to teens and those in their early twenties.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day isn't for everyone. But I found it fun and charming. If you are looking for a fun movie aimed more at adults, give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.