Monday, April 1, 2013

Movie Review: Shadow of a Doubt (1943)


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Engrossing story and kept me intrigued
Cons: Slow start; romantic sub-plot
The Bottom Line:
As the suspense builds
I could not stop watching film
It's well worth watching




"How Much Do You Know About Your Uncle?"

For someone who has seen very few Hitchcock films, you might wonder why this one was such a high priority for me since it's not as well known as some of his others. There's a simple explanation for my interest, however. Shadow of a Doubt is set and was filmed in Santa Rosa, California, the town I grew up in. As a result, I was always curious to see it. And I'm glad I did. While it still has some flaws, this is a great film by Hitchcock.

Things have gotten boring and routine in the Newton family, and Young Charlie (Teresa Wright) especially is feeling the boredom. So she decides to wire her favorite uncle to come for a visit. As it happens, Uncle Charlie (Joseph Cotten) is already planning a visit.

While Young Charlie is excited to see her namesake again, she can't help but notice that he is acting strangely. He's especially skittish around two men who arrive at the Newton house claiming to be conducting a survey. These men tell Young Charlie a strange tale about her uncle. Could it be true? Is so, what should she do?

I tend to avoid old films. It's not that I don't appreciate black and white films like this one. I just find older movies much slower, and I struggle to stay interested in them. So it was with a little trepidation that I sat down to watch this film.

And my fears were confirmed initially. The beginning of the movie is rather slow. There's plenty of time to set up things before the action really gets going. Some if it is pointless, but some of it does come into play later in the movie.

Once things get going, the story really takes off. I got so hooked on the story I couldn't wait to see how it ended. While I wouldn't say there were lots of twists and turns, the big question of the plot kept me glued to my seat. That's not the say this part wasn't without flaws. The romantic sub-plot, while semi-critical to the story, really seemed forced. I think the movie would have been stronger without it. The running commentary between two of the characters about the best way to get away with murder, however, was priceless. I couldn't help but laugh at it.

The movie really revolves around Uncle and Young Charlie, which means that Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten get lots of screen time. That's a good thing because they play every nuance of their characters perfectly. The other actors do a credible job with their parts as well. Several of the minor characters were cast with locals from Santa Rosa, but you'd never know. The only exception to that might be Edna May Wonacott who plays Young Charlie's little sister. She seemed out of her element in her first few scenes but became better as the movie progressed.

So, how about the big question, how much of the location did I recognize? To be truthful, not much. The movie was released in 1943, so much has changed in town since then. I did recognize some of the buildings, however. The biggest thrill for me was recognizing the radio station referenced at one point. KSRO is still broadcasting out of Santa Rosa to this day.

Don't let the fact that this movie isn't as famous as some of Hitchcock's other films stop you from watching it. If you are looking for a good suspenseful movie, Shadow of a Doubt will certainly fit the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.